 Robotics / 22181
22180  |  22182
Subject:
YAL, Yet Another LegWay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:43:34 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

YAL: Yet Another LegWay

Allen Foster and Harold Jarvie posts showed me that it was possible to build a LEGO-only self-balancing robot, inspired by the famous Steve Hassenplug’s LegWay.

Here are some details of my implementation, using two regular light sensor to monitor YAL inclination.

The code is a simple PID algorithm implemented in BrickOS, direct translation of Allen Foster code. The input comes from front and back light sensors difference, the output is applied to both motors.

Yal works best with diffused overhead lighting and doesn’t like at all lateral lights (windows)

Here are some movies (Quick Time, 0.5 to 1Mb)

Even Better : Frédéric Siva’s single light sensor version

Frédéric modified the code to make YAL work using a single light sensor: a RIS-only self balancing robot!

Here is Frédéric’s modified code

Slightly less stable than its 2 sensors brother, it is nonetheless quite convincing, as shown in this movie (AVI, 1Mb)

Congratulations, Frédéric!

Philo

Many thanks to John Hansen, whose BricxCC and Cygwin/BrickOS installers made BrickOS palatable to average Windows users like me !