 Robotics / 22192
Re: YAL, Yet Another LegWay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:18:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

YAL: Yet Another LegWay

Allen Foster and Harold Jarvie posts showed me that it was possible to build a LEGO-only self-balancing robot, inspired by the famous Steve Hassenplug’s LegWay.

Here are some details of my implementation, using two regular light sensor to monitor YAL inclination.

The code is a simple PID algorithm implemented in BrickOS, direct translation of Allen Foster code. The input comes from front and back light sensors difference, the output is applied to both motors.

Yal works best with diffused overhead lighting and doesn’t like at all lateral lights (windows)

I built one of these yesterday, and it works surprisingly well! I like the very simple design. Like Steve H’s original LegWay, it requires very few parts. Although it is a little tricky to put it together.

I found that the performance of the robot is highly dependent on a couple of factors:
  • Solid-color, bright or white floor seems to work better than patterned floors.
  • You have to hold the robot perfectly vertical when you start the program so that it gets a good “offset” reading between the two light sensors. The better you do this, the better the resulting balance.
  • Works best in a dark room with no lights pointing directly at the robot.
Very nice job! It makes me want to add some code to make it move around and chase the cats.

   Many thanks to John Hansen, whose BricxCC and Cygwin/BrickOS installers made BrickOS palatable to average Windows users like me !

I have to second this. John has done a very nice job with BricxCC. He has also made it possible for me to finally get a working GCC installation with BrickOS on my Windows 98SE machine. Thanks, John!

- Chris.