 Robotics / 22202
Re: YAL, Yet Another LegWay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:35:48 GMT

<snippage>
* Solid-color, bright or white floor seems to work better than patterned • floors.
* You have to hold the robot perfectly vertical when you start the program • so
  that it gets a good "offset" reading between the two light sensors.  The
  better you do this, the better the resulting balance.
* Works best in a dark room with no lights pointing directly at the robot.

</snippage>

i'm thinking that making a vertical frame to start it would help.  something
like two support barsthat are vertical in which you would put the YAL to
start it off in a perfectly vertical position. you could even make it hinged
on one side so you could program a short burst of speed after registering
"vertically" which would allow it to get out of the frame by itself.

also, perhaps adding a third motor with an weight (micro-motor?) that could
be offset to change the center of gravity slightly could give the YAL
direction to go.  like forcing it to tip and move in the direction of the
tip.

and final thought, it would seem that YAL is pretty much a lateral motion
bot, so maybe it would be easier for it to balance with a solid axle?

just a few thoughts.

regards,

mike

---