 Robotics / 21372
Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:50:59 GMT

Hi Jim,

   This is an extremely interesting and informative analysis.

Thanks ;o)

   Did you notice any effects caused by the location of the scale attachment point? (snip)

Definitely YES. That’s why as I changed wheels I modified the test vehicule to try to keep attachment point in line with wheel center. It is also important to keep the retaining rope horizontal, to avoid the creation of a lifting or pressing effect - this also has a great impact on measurements.

I also had problems in some cases with uneven pulling (probably a kind of mechanical relaxation oscillation between full grip (high static coefficient) and slipping (lower friction coefficient). Horizontal shift was sometimes annoying too, with one side pulling more than the other.

As I said in my page, comparison results should be taken with a grain of salt (who said a spoonful? well... he may be right!!!)

As your “More Weight” graphs show, more weight produces more traction, but that ‘benefit’ is offset by a corresponding decrease in the coefficient of friction. (snip)

I don’t agree: as you can see from this curve, friction coefficient is quite constant over measured range...

I must say that I was somewhat surprised to get a result that fits so well the theoretical behaviour - though as Steve Baker pointed out, the theory behind polymer friction is itself quite involved !

   It also seems like you could extrapolate a maximum weight for a wheel set, beyond which adding additional weight would not add a significant amount of additional traction.
Well, I think that the real limit lies in material strength: I actually broke an old style z24 gear while performing this test!

   Finally, your “More Speed” graph implies that as long as the tires can spin, lowering the gear ratio (increasing torque and lowering wheel speed) actually reduces the total vehicle traction!
I don’t think so : traction remains the same whatever wheels rotation speed is (provided that they rotate).

You simply have to gear down enough to make sure to avoid motors stall. Gearing down more just slows down your vehicle when not pulling, but will not provide more (or less) traction.

Philo