 Robotics / 21364
Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 18:51:29 GMT

James Ryan wrote:

This is an extremely interesting and informative analysis.

Yep.

I've been looking at the theoretical basis for how rubber tyres work
in full-sized cars - and it's an insanely complicated process.

However, one thing one learns early on is that the normal rules of
friction that we were taught in school were only ever approximations - and
they are very poor approximations for flexible, rolling things made from
long chain polymers with complicated sculpted surfaces.

In short - theory is useless - you need this kind of practical experiment.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net