 Robotics / 20690
  Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

Hi all, You will find here: (URL) results of a few experiments on pulling power of different Lego® wheels and tracks. Enjoy! Philo www.philohome.com (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce, lugnet.technic) !

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

Thank you for posting that! A useful resource. I have thought about having 2 narrow tires at an angle so that they almost meet at the ground. My thought is that they might increase traction by sort of pinching the carpet pile. Thanks again. Best (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

I think that carpet hair would have to be fairly long to get that pinching effect - but then it might work... Not easy to set up though ! Philo (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:HEq6un.1xC2@lugnet.com... (...) wheels (...) Fascinating! I wonder if the tracks of both types would perform better if they had a series of idlers placed along the bottom of them to keep (...) (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:HEq6un.1xC2@lugnet.com... (...) very interesting and usful maybe you could add the bar with the traction on sand :) br pixel (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

Hello Jennifer, I tried with one idler in the middle of RIS tracks. The result was not significantly different with or without it - so it seems indeed equivalent to adding more wheels, dividing weight between them. In real life, tracks are useful in (...) (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

Hi Paul, (...) Sure, if you clean my Lego after the test ;o)) More seriously, the true problem here is to get a consistant test: a piece of wood is not affected by previous runs, sand is ! Cheers, Philo (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:HErz5u.1uKs@lugnet.com... (...) philo send me all your bricks i'll keep them very clean i promisse :)) (...) yeah of course!!! but i thought about the box with sand which will be lined up (...) (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

(...) Oh, very useful! Thanks for the work! I thought about doing this myself but never got around to. And spinning speed is important! Power Pullers use high speed to actually toss the ground behind them to get more force. Don't see how you could (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

(...) Hello Philo, This is an extremely interesting and informative analysis. Did you notice any effects caused by the location of the scale attachment point? It seems to me that any attachment point below the axle centerline creates a lever arm (...) (21 years ago, 5-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

(...) Yep. I've been looking at the theoretical basis for how rubber tyres work in full-sized cars - and it's an insanely complicated process. However, one thing one learns early on is that the normal rules of friction that we were taught in school (...) (21 years ago, 5-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Wheels, Tyres and Tractions

Hi Jim, (...) Thanks ;o) (...) Definitely YES. That's why as I changed wheels I modified the test vehicule to try to keep attachment point in line with wheel center. It is also important to keep the retaining rope horizontal, to avoid the creation (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Biped robot

I am start to build a biped robot, its easy in teory but in pratic is not..hehe See the pictures: (URL) Antonio --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system ((URL) 6.0.516 / Virus Database: 313 - Release Date: 1/9/2003 (21 years ago, 8-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics)