 Robotics / 20575
  how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

I am working on a model that requires me being able to send 6 different inputs into my program (each will then trigger a motor in either forward or reverse for a set amount of time). I might be able to get away with only 4 inputs if I get rid of one (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

(...) Rotation sensor? That seems to be the easiest way to record motion, if that's what you're trying to do. I bet you could probably make a pretty interesting joystick using a couple of rotation sensors, too. Adrian -- (URL) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

With 3 touch sensors = 3 "bits" = 1+7 possible states/combinations 000 = none pressed 001 = 1 pressed 010 = 2 pressed 011 = 1+2 pressed 100 = 3 pressed 101 = 1+3 pressed 110 = 2+3 pressed 111 = 1+2+3 pressed or you can use a rotation/angle sensor as (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

Marco Correia's utterance expressed in news:000d01c30037$06...porcel.pt: (...) What a great idea! why haven't I tried that yet?? Fun things to do with a rotation sensor :) I mainly use it for distance measuring and crane-boom-control. Shame on you! (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

(...) You don't even need a rotation sensor. You could turn a dial, and for each position a touch sensor is pushed. Ie, for a typical clock style, you gear things up so that for one rotation of the dial the touch sensor is pushed 12 times. A ratchet (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

(...) That's a clever idea. For those who don't want to build such a device, you can get away with even less: two buttons (i.e., two touch sensors). You can model the interface after the cascading menus that many electronic devices have. Basically, (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

You could also use the Mindstorms Remote Control, which can send Messages 1, 2 and 3. As with touch sensors, you need to use a combination of messages to create 6 separate inputs. (I recall an old thread on this exploring many encoding schemes.) (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: how can I get "manual" input into my RCX?

(...) It works with a single touch sensor as well: use single clicks for the "next" function, and double clicks to mean "enter". The method is described in my book too, when talking about the Chess Visual Interface. Ciao Mario (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics)