 Robotics / 14860
  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

(...) one would do with this. The Lego Mindstorms booklet doesn't explain it at all. (My host laptop computer runs Linux, and so if it is explained in the nifty multimedia CD-ROM that came with Mindstorms, I've missed it.) It took me weeks to (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

The CD-Rom does not explaiin how to use this piece, but in an earlier post I wrote: Ok, this is called a "Slip Gear" or "Torque Gear" It is used to prevent over rotation by means of an internal clutch, the 2.5 - 5.0 NCM I belive means the range of (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

(...) (I think we established that this is Newton centimeters - a force of between two and a half and five Newtons applied at a distance of one centimeter will cause the gear to slip...or half that at 2cm, a third at 3cm and so on). (...) That's (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

(...) Hmm interesting. I only have one clutch gear (the one that came with RIS 1.5), and it is too *loose* to really be at all functional. I've also read that the clutch force tends to drop in them the more they are used. (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

Oh , right , Newtons , I was saying Nano centameters! thanks....I guess you need a fair amount of gearing and distance to use these gears effectivly along with opposing resistance, I love the way it works in the hand I developed, infact in included (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

Yes they do lose a little, I guess we always knew that would be the case, I hate to see you not use the gear if it's to loose, reurn it for a new one if you decide somthing really needs it. Also I consider this gear a "back-up" in preventing (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

"Eric Sophie" <Legomaster@gobi.com> wrote in message news:GB91vJ.21x@lugnet.com... (...) over (...) Ncm. (...) Newtons x cm. Not nano. :) Iain (the metric pissant) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)