 Pirates / 46
Re: Mast options
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 06:44:24 GMT

The parts I have seen discussed look pretty complete, so I will only add my
support for the lashing idea.

The tallest mast I use on the Agamemnon starts with the tall mast base, a
main mast, the the smallest of the top mast, to which I have attached one of
the longer topmasts (just snapped together like normal blocks), and lashed
around with a small rope and stud piece, and a lance in the very top.  That
gets me around 52cm (20").  Even if I could figure out an elegant way to go
higher, I'm not sure I would bother. At that size the proportional all seem
to work out nicely.

Not only does this work, and look good, its also historically justified.
Lashing mast elements together was quite common on the big ships.  Trees
that were tall enough and strong enough did not abound, and even then, a few
minutes with a scurrilous Frenchie, and you might have to be rebuilding your
mast anyway.  It was always easier to lash a new mast to the salvageable
section of the old, than to try to remast the ship down to her keel.

If you flick around the site, and focus on the mainmasts of the Agamemnon
and Sutherland, you'll find pics that show the lashing well enough.

Richard
Still baldly going...
Speak to the Governor at http://www.hinet.net.au/~guinan/
PI[so,ig+++ pi++ is,ia-]++ AD++ NI+ TO---- S+ LS- A+ LM- YB66m :-)