 Pirates / 4498
4497  |  4499
Subject:
(MOC) The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:52:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop

at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=222235

In his post http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=4487 Mr. Dulin said something that set me off.

   The Egregious is built on a four centre section hull, and includes the challenging construction combination of short ratlines and Vikings masts. I have gained a newfound appreciation of the possibilities of the short ratlines – I had previously written them off as next to useless for serious vessel construction… and even after I used them on the cutter Trésfroid and the hermaphrodite brig Ratsée, I doubted that they could be used successfully on a wide hulled vessel.

I too had mostly a very low opinion of the short ratlines, but I thought to myself it would have to be a very small ship, wait a moment didn’t I buy those small black and dark-gray hulls http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6051cx3 and http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6053cx3 to build a very small ship?

So thus was born the Black Pearl-lite!!

What do I like with what I did with this MOC?, I like the black, gray and a touch of red colors. I like that she has a spinnaker boom. I like my bronze swivel guns. I like that I the used the gun ports in the bow to lower the attachment points of the far forward mast’s rigging. I like the rake of the mast and the fact that I used real lego sails and they actually looked good! I love the fairness of her lines ( how? wedge sloped http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=wedge+sloped&limit=none) she looks so yare setting there (with one brick under her portside) making her look hard-over on her attack reach.

You can almost here the peg-leg hook-hand captian yelling “Fire as she bears boys, and shiver me timbers!!”. Amazingly most people don’t know what “shiver me timbers” means.

Well, I think that she’s low, clean and neat! And very tiny!

What do y’all think?

kurt

Austin, TX