 Pirates / 4498

Subject:
(MOC) The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:52:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop

at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=222235

In his post http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=4487 Mr. Dulin said something that set me off.

   The Egregious is built on a four centre section hull, and includes the challenging construction combination of short ratlines and Vikings masts. I have gained a newfound appreciation of the possibilities of the short ratlines – I had previously written them off as next to useless for serious vessel construction… and even after I used them on the cutter Trésfroid and the hermaphrodite brig Ratsée, I doubted that they could be used successfully on a wide hulled vessel.

I too had mostly a very low opinion of the short ratlines, but I thought to myself it would have to be a very small ship, wait a moment didn’t I buy those small black and dark-gray hulls http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6051cx3 and http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6053cx3 to build a very small ship?

So thus was born the Black Pearl-lite!!

What do I like with what I did with this MOC?, I like the black, gray and a touch of red colors. I like that she has a spinnaker boom. I like my bronze swivel guns. I like that I the used the gun ports in the bow to lower the attachment points of the far forward mast’s rigging. I like the rake of the mast and the fact that I used real lego sails and they actually looked good! I love the fairness of her lines ( how? wedge sloped http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=wedge+sloped&limit=none) she looks so yare setting there (with one brick under her portside) making her look hard-over on her attack reach.

You can almost here the peg-leg hook-hand captian yelling “Fire as she bears boys, and shiver me timbers!!”. Amazingly most people don’t know what “shiver me timbers” means.

Well, I think that she’s low, clean and neat! And very tiny!

What do y’all think?

kurt

Austin, TX

Re: (MOC) The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop
   The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop

at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=222235

In his post http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=4487 Mr. Dulin said something that set me off.

Glad I said something that set someone off in a positive way!

[...]

This is one of the nicest small hulled vessels ever! The use of the dread 4+ pirates sails is very effective.

You can almost here the peg-leg hook-hand captian yelling “Fire as she bears boys, and shiver me timbers!!”. Amazingly most people don’t know what “shiver me timbers” means.

Well, I think that she’s low, clean and neat! And very tiny!

What do y’all think?

Magnificent! To be an effective pirate, she needs more crew, though.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Re: (MOC) The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop
   The Black Pearl-lite a gaff-rigged sloop

at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=222235

In his post http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=4487 Mr. Dulin said something that set me off.

Glad I said something that set someone off in a positive way!

Absolutely positive! I would not have figured out this style of sloop without your comments sending me down that path and and having a few free days to play with legos helps!

[...]

Thanks! I wish everyone could hold it in their hands for a momemt to look at it. It’s “cute”! What else can I say! As I type this I have just finished making another one in RTS (Republic of Texas Ship) colors, with my now infamous black and white electricians tape on the small brown bow and stern. I’ll try to get some pics taken and uploaded.

(why infamous? see http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/euroforum/index.php?showtopic=6140 )

Maybe I should give a y’all building instructions! If any of you wanted them. So that you could hold one to look at.

Unlike many, OK - most of my MOCs, this one doesn’t require much in the way of parts! I got to believe many of you have a extra set of small bow & stern.

   The use of the dread 4+ pirates sails is very effective.

I thought so too. I normally don’t use lego sails, there are not enough shape choices in the same color and no jolly rogers please. But in this case...

You can almost here the peg-leg hook-hand captian yelling “Fire as she bears boys, and shiver me timbers!!”. Amazingly most people don’t know what “shiver me timbers” means.

Well, I think that she’s low, clean and neat! And very tiny!

What do y’all think?

Magnificent!

I am glad you like it!

   To be an effective pirate, she needs more crew, though.

Ok, I am thinking of making a few more changes of bricks from black to red, the arch in to the cabin and the bricks to each side of that passageway. But she already has 4 crew, maybe one more with the big cannon and one in the mast? Don’t you like the guy on the bow swivel gun?

Maybe I’ll make another Black-Pearl-lite clone and sell it on ebay! see if I get anything for it above the parts value.

BTW: I have one of my large cannons listed on ebay right now, I hope this doesn’t brake any rules here at lugnet!

enjoy

kurt