 Pirates / 4032
Re: HM 20 gun Frigate Minotaur
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 03:35:04 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   hello! i finished my most recent ship, HM Figate Minotaur. she is a light frigate, with 20 guns on the upper deck, and 4 carronades on the top deck. (much smaller than the real Minotaur, a 74, but her color inspired me, so i named mine after the original) she is 4 center sections, normal width. i made a full set of sails for her, with course, top, gallants, and royals.

-snip-

Nice work again! The colour scheme isn’t one I would have expected to work... but I wouldn’t have expected the light grey/blue scheme to work either.

   i had to make the masts very high, so i actually used a short mast base and a middle mast section with a mast platform, and attached a complete mast assembly of a tall base, middle section, and top section, to get tall fore and main masts. i had to fabricate some fighting tops, as the mast platforms were in the wrong spot. actually, after i built the tops and attached everything, the masts were pretty sturdy........until i added the stays. ironic, huh...

They are nice and tall! I wonder if it would be worth moving the top sections 2 studs forward? It would make the masts less stable though...

   anyway, the goal of this ship was to break up the straight lines that lego lends itself to forming, as ships are not straight, but rather the hull is curved. please let me know what you think!

You’ve succeeded masterfully in breaking up the straight lines! The stern is, of course, another work of art.

The details on the deck - the twin wheels (if only Lego had have used an axle hole rather than a technic stud...), the boats, the capstan, the carrronades - really complete it. And that fore-to-aft curve... magnifique!

Adieu

Richie Dulin