 Pirates / 339
Re: Imperial Armada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 16:39:28 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Mike Kane writes:
Anyone here know why Lego didn't make much of the Imperial Armada subtheme?
There were only two official sets in the subtheme (6280 Armada Flagship and
6244 Armada Sentry).  Sure, the guy with the red shirt with blue stripes (the
sentry) was in several pirate sets, but that didn't excuse the lack of sets.
Frankly, Lego ought to have made some sets with Spaniards and Islanders
combined, so that there would have been a Columbus and Arawaks type of setup.
To top it off, the other two conquistadors only appeared in the flagship set
and the 6204 Buccaneers minifig pack; in essence, they were given the shaft.
Too bad, I think they look pretty cool and authentic.  I'd like to see a
continuation of conquistadors in the future: a much broader choice of sets and
more minifigs, please!  Anyone here concur with me?  Let me know about any
ideas you might have.  Thanks.

Mike

It's a mystery that Lego only truly knows.  I think they weakened the Pirates
line with the Islander series and then came back with an uninspired round of
pirate ships and either decided that was it or (hopefully) they would let it
sit fallow for a while and come back to it.  There have been vague rumors of
Pirates returning, but nothing that I would consider encouraging.

Yes, the Armada needed an base such as the Eldorado Fortress of the Imperial
Trading Post.  Even one closer to the Imperial Outpost would have done okay -
just buy multiple copies and build your own.

Building up a contingent of Armada figures hasn't been easy since they were in
so few sets.  I have about 40 of them (and a slew of extra Morion helmets for
draftees <g>).

Bruce