 Pirates / 2866
2865  |  2867
Subject:
Tired of being outgunned by pirates with deep loot-filled pockets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:32:57 GMT

G'day all...

A while back, while I was building my little sloop 'Flame', I found myself
lacking in guns. With only 12 cannon in my arsenal, I set about designing my
own.

The 9-pounders of old, http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=111984
proved fairly successful, so even after 'Flame' had a bad run-in with a
French 74, I kept them around. Since then, Richie Dulin has multiplied the
number of designs available for use by small squadrons, so I chose to go
that road again.

As I enter another spur of Naval building, I've had to build more...
bigger... better!

Here they are, first a short 12-pounder:

Generally out-classed by the 18-pounders of the 1780s and on, these guns
still formed the main armament of many frigates, and the upper deck
aramaments of some ships of the line.

And a 32-pounder Carronade:

Notorious for their power at short range and among the most common
Carronades, these supplanted 6-pounders and 9-pounders as the Quarterdeck
araments for most ships by 1800, and starting with 'Cruizer' in the 1790s,
began to be the exclusive armaments for small vessels.

I'm particularly fond of the Carronade. Despite the "darkening of the bronze
guns caused by much gunsmoke and years of use" -- in other words, despite
being brown -- I think the shape of them is approximated rather well, and
the slide mountings work out decently enough too.

Sorry for the dark pics, but I'll have better ones as soon as they (and
their brothers and sisters) are mounted.

So for all you poor colonial sailors out there, worry not about the big
18-pounder Lego guns! Cast your own!

Kenneth Tam