 Pirates / 1893
Re: HMS Floater
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 23:10:04 GMT

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Mr L F Braun (<GD4u0F.1xz@lugnet.com>) wrote at
18:29:03

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.pirates, George Haberberger writes:

I feel sorry for any pirate that tries to mess with that.

Arrrrr, t'will be a pyrate ship soon enuf, matey.  Now 'scuse me whilst me
an' a few o' the lads start a-rollin' cannon balls across the deck.

Mutiny, mutiny,
is our cry,
M - U - T - I - N - Y!

Anonymous Impressed Fo'c'sle Deckhand Soon To Be The Dread Pirate Roberts

  Having seen HMS Flesher in the float...er, HMS Floater in the
  flesh, it's truly impressive.  The stern gallery detail is just
  magnificent, and though I didn't get the chance to see it with
  the rig up, I can imagine how little justice the .jpgs do it.
  (I did see the masts, but they were lying down, Forest Fresh...)

I had to dust them before stepping them :-)

  One of the coolest innovations, IMHO, is the gunports.  It
  started out as a second-choice solution, and ended up looking
  *far* better than using 2x2 flags.  It just feels "heavy", and
  all those cannon really are on wheels.

I'm really happy with the gunports. The use of black against white
really gives the impression of ironwork.

  Hey, are you still going to fiddle with replacing those hull
  pieces at front and rear before you send 'er to the breakers'?

Doubtful. Just like the real thing, she's built from the bottom up. I
might actually use the midsections next time round, but as the basis for
a much wider hull. Fortunately, I've acquired an extra 6285 and a 6274
since the keel was laid, so the next one can be bigger in all dimensions
:-D

The bow will have to go, though. It's just not the right shape.
--
Tony Priestman