 Pirates / 1822
Re: Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Rob Drechsel writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Dan Vogel writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Rob Drechsel writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Rob Drechsel writes:
Hi All!  I'm in a situation where I can obtain several pirate hulls for very
cheap -or- free.  In addition to the hulls and masts, what parts are really
important to the ships?  Please give me your opnions.

  Any parts that are free are important.  Free is good.  Cheap is
  good too, fut free is far fuperior.  Of course, make sure you
  have enough midsections (or the bits to make your own), some
  lattice windows (arched or 1x4x3 shutter-frames), cannon, a
  few scurvy sea dogs (that guy with the windsurfer on a T-shirt
  from various Paradisa sets DOES NOT COUNT unless he's being
  fired from aforementioned cannon), and mast *bases*.  Oh yes,
  you can't do very much without mast bases--the things will just
  keep popping off the studs.  Same deal with the trapezoid rig
  pieces.

  Hey, BTW, who was the kind soul who lent me these two X-long rig
  pieces in brown at last BrickFest?  I can bring them back (with
  interest, naturally, name your needs) this year.

  all best

  Lindsay

I have to agree with the free part, I'm already getting baseplates and parts
from others who are not interested in the hobby.  I will make sure to get
all the accessories, and not any Paradisa peoples, unless they are free.

Rob
robo2705@hotmail.com

Yes, Free is great! Others not interested in the hobby? how could they! :) i
have a bunch of friends with a bunch of lego, and they dont even use it and
they wont give it to me(or sell it) they are all like "What would you want
it for?" oh well sounds like you have better friends then me if you are
getting free lego! i would definitely go masts, to get back on subject.
Masts and the pieces to connect them are the most important to me. Finding
enough inverse slopped 2x2(preferably in the same color) to extend my ship
hulls is one of the bigger things too. Now if i could just find someone
selling dark grey for less then 25 cents a pop... good luck on your ship
building.

-Dan

What's this about using bricks to extend the hull?  I'm new to Pirate and
ship building (actually using the boats for castle).  How do you do this, I
haven't even see a boat-hull in recently, and the only time I did, I was
about seven.  How do you make this look natural?    BTW My friends think
that they are too "old" for Lego's! Ha!

I use inverse 2x2 pieces, two stacked on each other, so it kinda looks like
the wood planks. if it is  the right color(which i can rarely get enough of
the same color) and you are not looking too close it goes with it IMO.  you
then take these two pieces and connect them to another two pieces with a 1/3
stud high piece of the right length(depending if you are building these for
the wider ships or the thinner ones) then you put another one third piece on
the top inverted slope so that it is of equal height to the original hulls.
On the botom of the 1/3 high piece that connecter the inverse slope piece on
both sides you put a piece that will fit into the connecting pieces on the
original hulls. I usualy then put another 1/3 high piece on the botom for
stability. Boy this is confusing explaining this. Maybe i will get a picture
up soon of one... I know other people do this, because a couple years ago
when i thought i had brilliantly thought it up i found on a site someone
else doing the same. :) oh well. Anyway it would be alot easier to explain
with pictures, but i never figured how to work the lego cad or L draw
programs... maybe i will get some pictures of MOC up soon.  i just took a 30
shot sequence of a battle... its going to be nifty. Now if i could just
figure how to wash mini figs....

-Dan
"Still debating on wether or not to put the used BSB that he just got in the
washing tub for the night or build it now..."