 Pirates / 1551
Re: 6285 vs. 6286....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 03:49:06 GMT

Jonathan Castellino wrote:

It's Jono again....I'm glad to see SOOO much feedback. anyhow, i was
considering trading my (unused - opened, but unused) Mindstorms 1.5 kit for
a used 6286.....i wanted to get any of your opinions on whether it is worth
it. Thanks.
              Jono

That would be a decent deal, especially if you got the Mindstorms on
sale. I paid about $170 for each of my 6286s, but I was also very
patient. One came from the AucZilla 500 sets auction (w/o minifigs) for
$170, the other came from a Tom Schlosser (in Germany) auction for $186
including shipping. I haven't watched how they do on eBay lately, but
when I was going after them, they were going for more like $250 on eBay.
BSBs seemed to go a little cheaper, and I got one of those from Tom also
(for $160 including shipping). For comparison, the Imperial Trading Post
could be had for usually about $100-150 or so (I paid $75, $122, and $96
for mine). The cheap one was a lucky deal and a willingness to risk a
seller with a low feedback rating. What I really learned is that
patience really helps. Of course the real deal was my 2nd BSB which I
found in a used toy store for $50 (though it is missing some of the rare
parts and some of the minifigs). I had despaired of ever getting these
three sets, and ended up getting multiple copies of all of them for what
I considered below market prices (the $122 6277 being the closest to
market price).

On the other hand, I'll probably pay through the nose for a 6251 just
because it is the last pirate set I need to be complete in all the sets
(I may never get all the service packs, there are several cannon service
packs which seem like I may not find).

Follow-ups to: lugnet.market.appraisal

Frank