 Pirates / 1128
Subject:
Crooked mast extension bases...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:20:14 GMT

Folks:

Arr and all that.
Anyway, I'm building my 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda and I'm up to the
part where you put the mast parts into the 3-inch (or so) tube mast
base. I find the the four slots on the tubes (that fit the tiny tabs on
the bottoms of the masts) are rotated about 5-10 degrees off-center so
that when the masts and sails are installed they're on a slant (relative
to the ship's fore and aft orientation) and the ratlines are twisted (to
the right as you look forward.)

When i make the masts square with the ship they sit slightly above where
they should and are constantly pulling the ratlines out of their
attatchments on the gunwhales. Anybody else have this problem?

I have another extension (from 6270 Forbidden Island) and the slots are
square to the base.

It's no big deal (and no I'm not sending the ship back - it's
magnificent) but it bugs me. Do I have defective tubes?

Thanks
SteveC
Captain Perplexedbeard

Re: Crooked mast extension bases...?
In lugnet.pirates, Stephen A. Campbell writes:
Anyway, I'm building my 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda and I'm up to the
part where you put the mast parts into the 3-inch (or so) tube mast
base. I find the the four slots on the tubes (that fit the tiny tabs on
the bottoms of the masts) are rotated about 5-10 degrees off-center so
that when the masts and sails are installed they're on a slant (relative
to the ship's fore and aft orientation) and the ratlines are twisted (to
the right as you look forward.)

I've got one tall mast base that's like that too, but I got it in a trade,
so I don't know the original source.  Surprised the heck out of me when I
found it.  I figured mine was just a fluek, but now I wonder...

Re: Crooked mast extension bases...?
When i make the masts square with the ship they sit slightly above where
they should and are constantly pulling the ratlines out of their
attatchments on the gunwhales. Anybody else have this problem?

I have another extension (from 6270 Forbidden Island) and the slots are
square to the base.

It's no big deal (and no I'm not sending the ship back - it's
magnificent) but it bugs me. Do I have defective tubes?

Yes you do.

I don't recall having this problem with any of mine. I shudder at the
prospect of finding such a thing - there's probably no chance of getting
it replaced by TLC now :(
--
Tony Priestman

In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Stephen A. Campbell writes:
Anyway, I'm building my 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda and I'm up to the
part where you put the mast parts into the 3-inch (or so) tube mast
base. I find the the four slots on the tubes (that fit the tiny tabs on
the bottoms of the masts) are rotated about 5-10 degrees off-center so
that when the masts and sails are installed they're on a slant (relative
to the ship's fore and aft orientation) and the ratlines are twisted (to
the right as you look forward.)

I've got one tall mast base that's like that too, but I got it in a trade,
so I don't know the original source.  Surprised the heck out of me when I
found it.  I figured mine was just a fluek, but now I wonder...

Hmm, I was just noticing a few weeks ago (just before Brickfest when I was
building a bunch of pirate ships) that I have one also. It looks like at one
point they must have had the mold assembled wrong (the molds are multipart),
though I would have expected it to have alignment holes to prevent this type
of problem. It definitely isn't a damaged part (the missalignment is large
enough that you would see stress marks if something had twisted it).

Frank

Re: Crooked mast extension bases...?