 Organizations / United States / SEALUG / *396 (-20)
Subject:
Your website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:24:20 GMT

Hi guys,

I'm looking at options for setting up a content management system for the
Brickvention website (it's currently static HTML). I've tried Geeklog on another
site, and it's OK, but doesn't do everything I'd like to do for our site. I was
checking out your site, and I like how it's setup, I was just wondering what
software you're using?

Thanks

ROSCO

FUT: .o-t.geek

Re: Space Needle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 04:54:53 GMT

   That looks beautiful! Will you be bringing it to NWBC? I’d love to see it in person!

I was planning on taking it to NWBC but it won’t be done in time for this year. Maybe next time. Waiting for more pieces to arrive, I do plan on getting it finished in a month or so.

Re: Space Needle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:07:25 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Ryan Swarick wrote:
   After almost of two years of work on and off, my 7 1/2 foot tall Seattle Space Needle is almost complete. I have been wanting to post my progress for a long time, but moving and buying a house has put me back on finishing the space needle and posting pictures. So it is not quite complete but will update my MOCpage and post more pictures to brickshelf. When it is finally complete I will give an update here and better pictures of this project.

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/22787

That looks beautiful! Will you be bringing it to NWBC? I’d love to see it in person!

Kelly

Re: Space Needle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:48:08 GMT

Now that’s just beautiful! I love the seamless blend of building techniques and the slickness of the final model, the inhabited areas and supports also look good together (a failing of many MOCs). Very good work indeed.

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Visit my brickshelf gallery: (pic=link)

Re: Pirates! Yarrr here, there be dead men...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Todd Kubo wrote:
   Well after a long hiatus of not building anything for a while, sudden inspiration has lead to a few pieces with some nice results.

First to come WIP is this Pirate skull from the movie poster for “Pirates 2: Dead Man’s Chest”

Enjoy - Savvy? ~Tk

Hmmm, not sure how I missed this post... but thats a totally awesome sculpture. I just got done adding your skull to my blog. As I said there, I especially love the jaw line, teeth and the accoutrements, particularly the little man talisman.

Spotlit.

Janey “Red Brick”

Re: Pirates! Yarrr here, there be dead men...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:48:29 GMT

Very nice work! This is my faviourite sculpture in ages! The whole thing is so realistic and beautiful it was a pleasure to look at. Now I am picturing a cave inside similar to Peter Pan...

God Bless and thanks for sharing!

Nathan

Visit my brickshelf gallery: (pic=link)

Re: Pirates! Yarrr here, there be dead men...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 03:47:27 GMT

Yar!

Excellent work.

Re: Pirates! Yarrr here, there be dead men...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 03:05:56 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Todd Kubo wrote:
   Well after a long hiatus of not building anything for a while, sudden inspiration has lead to a few pieces with some nice results.

First to come WIP is this Pirate skull from the movie poster for “Pirates 2: Dead Man’s Chest”

Will probably finish this over the weekend with the last detail elements just needing to be located...may think about moving the nose cavity down a few plates to locate more accurately, depends on structure.

Notes: Life sized, hinged jaw to allow some movement or “talkin”. (Hmm...might need to add that.) All parts but the bandana will be LEGO elements, including string to attach.

Folder after moderation

Enjoy - Savvy? ~Tk

Shoot, Finally finished the details. Also filled in the head to hide some of the “see through” aspect of the model. Enjoy! T

Subject:
Pirates! Yarrr here, there be dead men...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 06:57:25 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Well after a long hiatus of not building anything for a while, sudden inspiration has lead to a few pieces with some nice results.

First to come WIP is this Pirate skull from the movie poster for “Pirates 2: Dead Man’s Chest”

Will probably finish this over the weekend with the last detail elements just needing to be located...may think about moving the nose cavity down a few plates to locate more accurately, depends on structure.

Notes: Life sized, hinged jaw to allow some movement or “talkin”. (Hmm...might need to add that.) All parts but the bandana will be LEGO elements, including string to attach.

Folder after moderation

Enjoy - Savvy? ~Tk

Subject:
The Dirty Brickster is Coming!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.loc.us.id, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 00:09:57 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Yes, once again it is time for the Dirty Brickster at NWBrickCon.  Yes, it is
once again time to peruse your various Lego and Lego related stuff to find that
perfect gift to exchange, that thing you don't really need but that someone else
may go ga-ga over, or possibly agree that it sucks, or maybe if they are lucky
will at least be able to trade it for something good at Wal-Mart.

So bring your gift, valued in the $10 to $20 range to NWBrickCon for the Dirty
Brickster.  Make sure it is wrapped.  We will draw numbers and you can choose a
mystery item or be a Dirty Brickster and steal someone else's treasure!  Only 3
steels allowed per item (with the possible exception of the first person - we
will vote on that before the event).

This is always great.  And I promise this year I'll be bringing something a lot
better than Mushroom Bins (although of course, these excellent sorting and
storing bins will once again be available for you to test and purchase!)

It isn't too late to register for the best Brick show in the Northwest.
Register now at www.nwbrickcon.org, and we will see you October 7th-9th!

-Matt :)
Dirty Brickster Coordinator at NWBrickCon
And also the Brick Bazaar Coordinator, so be sure to let me know if you want to
sell stuff!

Subject:
More Vendors Wanted at NWBrickCon Brick Bazaar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.loc.us.id, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:49:48 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is somewhat of a repeat, but the deadline for pre-registration is fast
approaching... Bring your Lego wares to NWBrickCon!

NWBrickCon will be held October 7th-9th at the Seattle Center.  And the Brick
Bazaar is a fanstastic time to unload your surplus Lego or move some product
from your retail inventory.  If you want a full or half table reserved for you,
please let me know as soon as you can.  There is no table fee, but a donation
for the door prize would always be appreciated!

The public will be in for a while on Sunday to the Rainier Room (not the Brick
Bazaar room).  If you want to sell your wares to the public (not just conference
attendees) it is an option.  However it will require you to get a City of
Seattle Business Liscense (cost of around $45 I believe).  If you are getting
the liscense and want a table(s) during the public time, let me know and we will
work out the details.

If you just have a few sets to sell (not parts) there is a local toy dealer
(Math 'n Stuff) who will be there, and they have agreed to act as agent and sell
to the public for you!  You will need to keep an eye on your own merchandise
during the public time if you do that.  It is a great, EASY way to sell custom
sets or older retired sets.

Remember, to sell to conference attendees during the regular Brick Bazaar is a
no-fee and no-liscense needed thing!  So just send me an email at
mattchiles@gorge.net to sign up and reserve your space.

Oh yeah, we will provide tables and skirting.  You bring stuff to sell, shelving
if needed, bags if appropriate, change box & small change, business cards, table
cover sheet for while you are gone, signs and price tags, some paper and pens
for notes you may need to take, and all that sort of stuff.  Don't plan on
electricity being available at your table, although we will do our best to
accomodate if needed (bring your own extension cord and we will see what we can
do).  And DON'T FORGET TO REGISTER FOR THE CONVENTION NOW at www.nwbrickcon.org!

-Matt :)
NWBrickCon Brick Bazaar Coordinator

Subject:
NWBrickCon is Coming! Vendors are Needed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.loc.us.id, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:18:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I'm in charge of the Brick Bazaar at NWBrickCon again this year, and it is
comming up fast!  This year NWBrickCon will be held October 7th-9th at the
Seattle Center.  The Brick Bazaar will be a much better location this year (the
Olympic Room) than last year.

The Brick Bazaar is a fanstastic time to unload your surplus Lego or move some
product from your retail inventory.  If you want a full or half table reserved
for you, please let me know as soon as you can.  We don't even have a table fee,
but we would request you donate something to the door prizes if you can.

The public will be in for a while on Sunday to the Rainier Room (not the Brick
Bazaar room).  If you want to sell your wares to the public (not just conference
attendees) it is an option.  However it will require you to get a City of
Seattle Business Liscense (cost of around $45 I believe).  Or if you just have a
few sets to sell (not parts) there is a local toy dealer (Math 'n Stuff) who
will be there, and they have agreed to act as agent and sell for you.  You will
need to keep an eye on your own merchandise during the public time if you do
that.  If you are getting the liscense and want a table(s) during the public
[...]

Subject:
Lego Spheres of various radius
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:37:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I know that everybody has done a sphere... I’ve seen a sphere calculator (very very cool, not studs-up, and instructions somewhat hard to follow). I thought that I would be thorough...

So here are plans for studs-up sphere sculptures of radius 2 through radius 48. jpg and ldr of each of these.

The 40x40 sphere turns into a nice moonbase.

brickshelf gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=114371

-David

Re: Post for David Winkler... The Stanford Bunny!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:35:08 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Todd Kubo wrote:
Hello All!
Hey Check this out!! I'm posting for David V. Winkler, a quiet but very talented
builder in SEALUG.
Be sure to check out all the other stuff he's got in the brickshelf folder if
you haven't already seen it!
Cheers!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/abunny.png

The classic 3d test object, the Stanford Bunny!
Using the mesh distributed by the Stanford Computer Graphics Lab (
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/ ) I produced this Lego sculpture that
just fits within a 32x32 baseplate using 991 pieces.

I have posted the LDRaw data, a PDF of instructions that I find simpler
to follow, and a PNG image of the finished bunny at
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/

-dw

I was asked the following question:

     Wow!  How did you digitize the mesh into Lego units?  Did you do a "hit
test"
     on each vertext/face within lego units, or perhaps do a boolean subtract
     out of a composite lego 'block'?  Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

     ---Will

In response:

I used povray and rendered slices through the bunny.

For this to work the section
vertex_vectors {
35947,
<0.0378297, 0.12794, 0.00447467>,
<0.0400442, 0.15362, -0.00816685>
}
face_indices {
69451,
<21216, 21215, 20399>,
<17277, 17346, 17345>
}
Needs to be replaced with the actual vertex_vectors and face_indices of the
bunny.  It's a fairly simple transformation from the ply file format available
on the Stanford web site to this format.  Note that this technique will work
with any POV CSG object.

Render this as an animation for clock=frame=1 to clock=frame=25

Then shrink the images of the animation to 32x32 pixels. (matching up with the
LegoWidth declaration below) (LegoHeight could be replaced with 0.4 for plates).

Each frame of the animation is a Lego layer.

Place a lego block there if each pixel of each layer frame is more white than
black. (An easy way to do this is to use a graphics program to transform the
file to a text pbm format, which uses "1" and "0" for the two allowed colors
(black and white))

Begin pov code:

#version 3.5;

#include "colors.inc"
#include "math.inc"

global_settings {
  ambient_light rgb<1, 1, 1>
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}
#declare LegoWidth=32; // in studs
#declare LegoHeight=1.2;
#declare SceneWidth=0.1712689; // about the width of the mesh object // scene
will require 25 frames for LegoWidth of 32.
// scene will require 37 frames for LegoWidth of 48.

#declare orthoLookAt=<0, 0, 0>;

camera {
  orthographic
location   orthoLookAt+y*100
look_at    orthoLookAt
  right SceneWidth*x            // horizontal size of view
  up (SceneWidth*image_height/image_width)*y               // vertical size of
view
}

// ----------------------------------------
// CSG intersection, the common space where all the shapes meet intersection
{
#if (clock>=1)
box{<-1,-LegoHeight*(SceneWidth/LegoWidth),-1>,<1,0,1> translate
y*(0.0329874+clock*LegoHeight*(SceneWidth/LegoWidth))}
#end
mesh2 {
vertex_vectors {
35947,
<0.0378297, 0.12794, 0.00447467>,
<0.0400442, 0.15362, -0.00816685>
}
face_indices {
69451,
<21216, 21215, 20399>,
<17277, 17346, 17345>
}
inside_vector <0, 1, 0>
}
texture
{
// texture component
pigment {
color rgb <1,1,1>
}
finish {
  ambient White
}
}
translate <-0.0168404, 0, 0.00153695>
}

Re: Post for David Winkler... The Stanford Bunny!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:52:05 GMT

Nice work. You can check out my take on the Stanford Bunny here and here.

Subject:
Post for David Winkler... The Stanford Bunny!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:28:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello All!
Hey Check this out!! I'm posting for David V. Winkler, a quiet but very talented
builder in SEALUG.
Be sure to check out all the other stuff he's got in the brickshelf folder if
you haven't already seen it!
Cheers!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/abunny.png

The classic 3d test object, the Stanford Bunny!
Using the mesh distributed by the Stanford Computer Graphics Lab (
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/ ) I produced this Lego sculpture that
just fits within a 32x32 baseplate using 991 pieces.

I have posted the LDRaw data, a PDF of instructions that I find simpler
to follow, and a PNG image of the finished bunny at
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/

-dw

Re: EP3 Republic Attack Cruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:25:50 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Todd Kubo wrote:
Hello!
Well, it's been long time between posting new MOCs. Life has been keeping me
busy as well as many LEGO projects. But somehow inbetween it allI've almost
finished this new MOC.

Inspired by Erik Varszegi and his great model of the ship, I was thinking to
build one a bit smaller.
I was intending it might be a bit smaller in scale than ISD sized, but needless
it came out about that size, working mainly from one book and seeing the movie 3
times, here's my version... • (snip)
So just have to add 8 laser turrets and I think it's about there!
Cheers!
~Tk

Todd,

NICE job! Great work on the double bridges especially. I take it this will be a
NWBrickCon model:-) ?

Joe Meno
.space paparazzi!

Re: EP3 Republic Attack Cruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:48:08 GMT

That is an excellent MOC of one of my favorite ships from the entire series of
films.(above the ISD in fact)  Out of curiousity, any idea how much it weighs in
at?

Thanks Jonathan.

Currently the whole thing weighs in at about 12lbs. but that was the last weigh
in before I was able to get the front top 2 decks on. I have no idea at this
point but I tried not to add too much internally to the structure.

I'll post updated picts once I finish the gun turrets.
Cheers!
~Tk

Re: EP3 Republic Attack Cruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Todd Kubo wrote:
Hello!
Well, it's been long time between posting new MOCs. Life has been keeping me
busy as well as many LEGO projects. But somehow inbetween it allI've almost
finished this new MOC.

Inspired by Erik Varszegi and his great model of the ship, I was thinking to
build one a bit smaller.
I was intending it might be a bit smaller in scale than ISD sized, but needless
it came out about that size, working mainly from one book and seeing the movie 3
times, here's my version...
So just have to add 8 laser turrets and I think it's about there!
Cheers!
~Tk

Great Job! I've seen it in person and the detail is incredible! Wayne

Re: EP3 Republic Attack Cruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:20:59 GMT

Great MOC. I've seen the movie about 4 times now and it looks just like it. good
job.

-Flip-

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact