 Organizations / United States / CLB / *54 (-10)
Re: HoB pics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 19:27:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.clb, Joe Strout wrote:
I was in L.A. all during House of Bricks.  My wife and son went yesterday, but
didn't take any pictures -- I told them there was no need since there would
surely be great pictures online anyway.

So... any great pictures online?  :)  And in general, how did it go?

Thanks,
- Joe

It looks like it went great.. I too could not make it but found the following
links on brickshelf

Christina

Subject:
HoB pics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 19:12:22 GMT

I was in L.A. all during House of Bricks.  My wife and son went yesterday, but
didn't take any pictures -- I told them there was no need since there would
surely be great pictures online anyway.

So... any great pictures online?  :)  And in general, how did it go?

Thanks,
- Joe

Subject:
Call for GBC modules - House of Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:53:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

It’s the Great Ball Contraption - LIVE!

You are invited to build modules, or just watch the action, live & in person. We
will be constructing a Great Ball Contraption
<http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/> at the House of Bricks
<http://2becontinued.com/hob/> event at the Chicago Marriott, Schaumburg, on May
6-8. But we need your help - the more modules the better! In order to make this
as smooth as possible, we wanted to put out a formal call for modules. Please
send us an email detailing the information listed below for your module(s) so we
can smoothly assemble the full Contraption for this event. Then just show up at
the event with your creations, and let the good balls roll!

GBC roll call:
1) Module name & builder
2) Size: width & depth (preferably in studs), & height
3) Lift mechanism(s) & output type (continuous or batch output)
4) Preferred input: Continuous? Batch? No preference?
5) Peak throughput: in balls per second, or “bps” (aim for at least 1 bps)
6) Power source: Battery box? RCX? Pneumatic? Other? Do you need access to a
powerstrip?
special abilities or features, or anything else you want to draw attention
towards.

Please feel free to post this information to the forums of your choice, but also
email a copy to <brdavis@iusb.edu> so we can plan for the grand assembly at
House of Bricks. For any questions about the GBC or the module standard, please
take a look at Steve Hassenplug's page listed above.

--
Brian Davis

Re: CLB meeting this Saturday?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:40:48 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.clb, Joe Strout wrote:
The third Saturday of the month would be this next one, Feb. 19th.  Is there a
CLB meeting planned?

Man, we're slackin.  But it sounds like everyone is pretty busy.  Maybe we
should try for something in March.  I'm out of town the 3rd Saturday.  What
about March 26?

Re: Chicago House of Bricks is Coming!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:09:29 GMT

In lugnet.events, Joe Strout wrote:
   Sounds neat! But please include lugnet.org.us.clb (Chicago Lego Builders) in announcements about it -- seems like that’s the most directly relevant group. I almost missed it, but just happened to see it on the home page before it was cycled out.

Good idea. I’ve also included .loc.us.il.chi as a regional area and kept .events in there because it is indeed an event.

   Will it be possible to attend HoB without registering for the whole convention (which isn’t as interesting to me, as, say, models of subways and donut shops)?

Unfortunately no. Still the price for a weekend pass to 2BeCONtinued4 is comparable to other brick conventions.

   Still, if this is the only way we could get such a big LEGO event in Chicago, then I’m happy to support it. Thanks for setting it up and letting us know about it!

It may not be the only way, but it does give us a good start. Let’s see how this year goes and then move forward from there.

Jason Spears
Chicago House of Bricks
Castle Coordinator

Subject:
CLB meeting this Saturday?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:47:30 GMT

The third Saturday of the month would be this next one, Feb. 19th.  Is there a
CLB meeting planned?

Thanks,
- Joe

Re: Chicago House of Bricks is Coming!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:44:04 GMT

In lugnet.events, Felix Greco wrote:

   Chicago House of Bricks will be an AFOL event held May 6-8, 2005, in Schaumburg, Illinois (Chicago Suburbs). Fans are invited to display, attend seminars, watch animation, and participate in LEGO gaming.

Sounds neat! But please include lugnet.org.us.clb (Chicago Lego Builders) in announcements about it -- seems like that’s the most directly relevant group. I almost missed it, but just happened to see it on the home page before it was cycled out.

   This event will be held as part of 2BeCONtinued4: The Musical, a Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention. Attendees will be welcome to take part in all aspects of the convention.

Will it be possible to attend HoB without registering for the whole convention (which isn’t as interesting to me, as, say, models of subways and donut shops)?

Still, if this is the only way we could get such a big LEGO event in Chicago, then I’m happy to support it. Thanks for setting it up and letting us know about it!

Best,

Joe

Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:07:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ken Nagel wrote:

<snip>

"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs" George Orwell-Animal Farm
Ken

Whereas I think I can see both sides of this issue, 1- Larry wasn't posting as
an admon, he was posting as a user of LUGNET, justlike the rest of us, and 2- by
the very fact that he mentioned o.t.fun should have made it obvious that he was
just having fun and wasn't being serious at all in his post.

Now I know from very recent circumstances that people that have past animosity
towards one another, then one of them posts something that, from the outside
looks like it's just fun, can be construed by the other party that it's
malicious, and, if Larry knew about the acrimonious relationship between the two
of you, I'll state that he shold have used better judgement.

THen again, one could say htat Larry was trying to make a light hearted effort
of 'burying the hatchet', again,k had he known about this bad relationship
between the two of you.

As it stands, I won't speak for Larry, but I will point out that taking the
words exactly as they are posted, Larry's post wasn't offensive.  I didn't find
it amusing, much, but I can see where the humour would be.

Dave K
-who just has far too much time on his hands to post to many different threads
here on LUGNET.  Maybe I'll go open a 10152 and start building...

Now *that's* funny!
-trimmed miscellaneous groups 'cause myy post had nothing to do with trains, et
al, but I guess should be left in admin groups...

Subject:
"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms

Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:52:54 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On Tuesday the 18th I extended a simple invitation for people to Visit NILTC’s
next show:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24035

It was responded to by Larry Pieniazek, The curator for lugnet.trains thus:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24044

The copy came from the library who is very excited about this show. I would
never be so pompous as to correct them on something so arcane as the plurality
of “Lego” especially since a quick review of Larry’s past posts show he is
woefully under qualified to be correcting anyone’s spelling or grammar.

If that wasn’t bad enough he had to continue with,  “I can't imagine him messing
up this spectactularly.” (his spelling). While Larry Pieniazek decided I was
getting personal in a debate forum he found no problem writing something that is
clearly nothing but a personal attack. It is clear he has an ax to grind with me
but taking it out on NILTC and the library was totally out of line.

Furthermore while my friends and acquaintances know I work at a Lego retail
store. When I post here however I’m on my own. It’s not something I put in my
posts. Taking care of the stock room and sweeping the floor once or twice a week
Doesn’t qualify me as an insider. I find my information the same place most of
you do, through the internet. However since this “administrator” decided to
raise that flag I was fired “for being a member of “that” AFOL web site”.

After this post was posted I emailed Kelly McKiernan and then all the “signers”
of the Lugnet policy update:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12017

Despite their statement that they were not immune to the policy none of them had
the courtesy to respond to the email. They have proven that despite the fact
that they claim their only goal is to make Lugnet “The happiest place on earth”
they really are not interested in that goal.

It is unforgivable that an administrator should take a post designed to benefit
a train club and an organization hopping to put on a public show and turn it
into a personal attack. It is further unforgivable that the rest of the
administrators are not capable of policing their own.

"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs" George Orwell-Animal Farm
Ken

Subject:
NILTC Geneva Public Library Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:21:26 GMT

Geneva Public Library
127 James Street
Geneva, IL 60134-2241

ALL ABOARD FOR LEGOS®
Saturday, February 12  9:00–5:00 p.m.
Sunday, February 13   12:00–4:00 p.m.

The Northern Illinois Lego® Train Club will be bringing huge Lego® train
displays complete with running trains! There will be timed building competitions
each day from 2:00–3:00 p.m. using Legos® the Train Club
will provide. You may register for these contests at the door at 2:00 p.m.
Registration is not needed to view the exhibit.

For more information please visit:   http://www.geneva.lib.il.us

Thank you, Ken

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact