 Organizations / United States / 84
Re: NELUG - Some things we learned while presenting at Mindfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:59:57 GMT

Do keep in mind that you/we were presenting at a place where "hands-on" is a
primary ethos.  In most of the exibits adults and children were encouraged to
touch, experiment, and create.  The proximity to the Construction Zone
undoubtedly exacerbated this problem.

I do realize that our exhibit did not exactly mesh with the hands on focus of
the event and that was explained one way or another to many people that asked
about our exhibit.  Plus like you say the proximity to the Construction Zone I
am sure exacerbated the problem.

Also, Mindfest was a place where children (at least the 7+ variety) roamed
essentially free.  This was great for most of the kids, but I noticed a few
who needed 24hr supervision by an adult (and probably a psychiatrist as well.)

This was true and not being a parent I have a hard time understanding the
differences in children.  For example,  in my family alone where my sister and
I grew up with the same rules, I was basically a low maintenance child that
respected others and other peoples things where my sister was very high
maintenance and needed a leash.

I also don't necessarily think that age is a deciding factor because in our
case John III was excellent around our models where a couple of kids 3 or 4
years older were much worse.  I also remember one time that we had the couple
of crazy kids running around with our stuff another kid who was also much
younger came up to the table and was very shy and had his hands in his
pockets.  I could tell he wanted to touch but he didn't and his parents
congradulated him on his restraint.  I knew that he would be good and talked
to him and let him have some fun with some models too.

Like I said earlier we all had fun and would do it again in a second.  This
was a learning experiance for us as much as anyone.  There were no major
disasters which I think supprised many of us but made us feel that we were
able to have some balance as long as we were all attentive and monitoring the
"High Risk" areas.  I think now that we have done it once we will know better
what to expect in the future and will come prepaired.

Eric Kingsley

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/