 Organizations / United States / 81
Re: NELUG - Some things we learned while presenting at Mindfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:33:46 GMT

I'd like to add my congratulations on a totally awesome display.

I think you were very restrained in your dealings with the less respectful
public. I'm very posessive about my Lego and other hobbies, and my young
nephews and nieces know that Uncle Peter can and will emulate a certain well
known hairy biped co-pilot should things be touched without his permission.

All that said, what can you do? Signs, ropes, even glass or perspex fronts,
but all this detracts from the experience of those who do respect the models
and want to look and not touch. Perhaps a sign explaining briefly that it is a
private collection, giving the time and parts statistics, and asking patrons
to please respect the models by not touching the display without the expressed
permission of the owners. And have a couple of rolls of gaffer tape handy for
those who ignore the signs.

Where were the parents of the kids that were hanging around when you were
setting up. A brief chat to them (perhaps holding and explaining the purpose
of the gaffer tape?) might also help.

My thoughts.

Pete Callaway