 Organizations / United States / 82
Re: NELUG - Some things we learned while presenting at Mindfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:48:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
2.  The first day/night (Friday) I wanted to try and have no "Warning" or "Do
Not" signs and allow people to be a little hands on.  In retrospect this was a
bad idea.  While most people were very courteous and respectful of our display
there were some that needed to be held in check.  In particular there were 2 • or
3 children present at our table all evening while we were trying to set up.  I
think that they probably handled every minifig we had (about 150 of them)
during the evening and were rearranging them as well (for example if I had a
female head on a soldier or pilot it was immediately replaced with a male head
especially if I was using a hair piece instead of a helmet).  Also because we
were often distracted and overwhelmed at different times we did not catch
everything that was going on.  At one point an X-Wing and a modified • AirSpeeder
walked off and were whooshing around the exhibit hall.  That was the string
that broke the monkey's back so to speak and signs went up the next morning.

Do keep in mind that you/we were presenting at a place where "hands-on" is a
primary ethos.  In most of the exibits adults and children were encouraged to
touch, experiment, and create.  The proximity to the Construction Zone
undoubtedly exacerbated this problem.

Also, Mindfest was a place where children (at least the 7+ variety) roamed
essentially free.  This was great for most of the kids, but I noticed a few
who needed 24hr supervision by an adult (and probably a psychiatrist as well.)

-John Van