 Organizations / United States / 70
Re: NELUG - Some things we learned while presenting at Mindfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:10:21 GMT

First of all : congratulations with the VERRY LARGE Star Wars models !!!!
superb,cool,waw, ....

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
This is the first of a series of posts I plan on posting about our experiences
at Mindfest.

This posts covers what we learned about presenting models in a public setting.
If anyone has anything to add to this please post a followup to this message.

There were many things that went real well for us but there were some things
that did not go so well.  I will tackle the problems we had first.

5.  Because of the nature of this event everyone wanted to know what our stuff
(especially the AT-AT's) did.  This was good because we could give our spiel
about how we don't all do robotics.  Thanks to Henry Chea and his car we did • at
least have one RCX brick on the table plus we had Larry's train that at least
moved.  Occasionally as soon as we said the AT-AT's were just models people
would walk away or go right to one of the other models that did something at
our table.  Most of the time however people were very interested in hearing
about our group and our different interests.

I displayed also once in a technical school (open door day's - only for 2
afternoons !!) and i got some moving parts as a bridge,windmill, 3 trains,...
and this seems to be more atractive than static models.
I got no problems with children / adults touching things (there where 'don't
touch' signs placed !!).But there where not that many visitors as you got on
your booth,thats for sure.

building up takes a lot of time! Not to mention the time for building the
models !! Don't under estimate this !
It took me 4 months to build some electronics and the models, and 2 day's to
build my 27m² display up (all alone),and got to remove it the same evening of
the last afternoon (also all alone)!!
It took me over 5 hours to do so (putting everything back in carton boxes)
Coming home,exhousted,energy level below zero,with the idee from ...NEVER
AGAIN .
Now, 1 1/2 year later,i'd like to do it again, but not on my own !!
It takes too many energy if you have to do it on your own.

Regards,
Ludo