 Organizations / Canada / VicLUG / * (-20)
Subject:
hi there lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:39:17 GMT
(canceled)

Re: VicLUG @ Local Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:29:59 GMT

Bravo, very nice work gentlemen. The pictures were tip-top.

Thanks

Re: VicLUG @ Local Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:39:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, Gail Meagher wrote:
Looks like a great display.  I really enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks! We even have some video by Joseph:

22mb inside track pan

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/silversmurfer/VicLug/2007-viclug-train/trainshow-movies/mov00611.avi

32mb outside track pan

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/silversmurfer/VicLug/2007-viclug-train/trainshow-movies/mov00612.avi

74mb slow outside detail pan

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/silversmurfer/VicLug/2007-viclug-train/trainshow-movies/mov00613.avi

I have a couple of questions.  Where did someone get the 1x1 bricks with studs
on four sides in _red_ used on the tops of the lamp posts seem here:
I see a few for sale on BrickLink, but I don't think they have appeared in a
set.

Those were my design (http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/33605). I went nuts on
Bricklink and bought enough parts for 30 lamposts. The most annoying piece was
the "tap" which, in combination with the "post" determined what the colour would
be. I think red works though.

I get the Evil Dead reference with the chainsaw hand and shotgun, but I don't
understand the teddy bears

You'd have to ask Joseph. He's just like that. The Fabuland band is his as well.

Re: VicLUG @ Local Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:07:22 GMT

Looks like a great display.  I really enjoyed the pictures.  Cool brick built
trees

I have a couple of questions.  Where did someone get the 1x1 bricks with studs
on four sides in _red_ used on the tops of the lamp posts seem here:
I see a few for sale on BrickLink, but I don't think they have appeared in a
set.

I get the Evil Dead reference with the chainsaw hand and shotgun, but I don't
understand the teddy bears
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2726435 .  Cool anyway, but what
are they a reference to?

Gail Meagher
Unafraid to admit that I just don't understand most things :).
NovaLUG

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, Ted Godwin wrote:
Well, we pulled it off and there are some pictures online:

Joseph: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=276292
Me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/holgrove/sets/72157602038568720/
John: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j1a3l5/sets/72157602038813636/

Not as big as layouts by you real trainheads but we were pleased with the
result and are already talking about next year.

Re: VicLUG @ Local Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:38:45 GMT

Well, we pulled it off and there are some pictures online:

Joseph: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=276292
Me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/holgrove/sets/72157602038568720/
John: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j1a3l5/sets/72157602038813636/

Not as big as layouts by you real trainheads but we were pleased with the result
and are already talking about next year.

Subject:
VicLUG @ Local Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:26:06 GMT

VICTORIA MODEL RAILWAY SHOW (NMRA - Pacific Northwest Region)
September 16, 2007 (Sunday), 10 am - 5 pm, Cedar Hill Rec Centre

We will have a display of LEGO trains and the adjacent cityscape. An admission
fee will be charged for the event which is described as the largest annual model
railway show in British Columbia.

Re: Hobby Show @ CanWest Mall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 07:42:49 GMT

Sorry to reply to my own post but I thought I’d just note that I have posted some pictures from the display.

Subject:
Hobby Show @ CanWest Mall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:38:56 GMT

February 1-3, 2007 (Thursday through Saturday) VicLUG will have a display at the
Westshore Town Centre (formerly CanWest Mall) as part of their annual Hobby
Show.

Drop by to say "hi" or check out what we have been doing. We will have Castle,
Mosaics, Sculptures, Mosaics, a few "Stock" UCS sets and whatever else we can
bring.

Subject:
VicLUG meeting this Saturday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:36:53 GMT

In case anyone is here we are meeting at Rod’s place on Saturday, 2-4:00pm to show off Xmas acquisitions, marvel @ Rod’s cool building space and chat about upcoming events like the Hobby Show @ Westshore Town Centre (formerly Canwest Mall) the first weekend in February.

For details check out the forums on VicLUG.

LEGO Robot Fest: Victoria, BC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:02:58 GMT

From: Saanich News

Girls’ robot fest canned By Amy Dove Saanich News Oct 25 2006

You’ve never seen Lego move like this.

The small robots use more than 500 available pieces to dance, kick and trek their way through obstacle courses - of at least they were supposed to until a low enrollment cancelled the first University of Victoria Lego Robotics Festival for Girls.

The two-day event was scheduled to run from Oct. 20-21 but had to be postponed when only three students signed on. Course organizers were looking for 30.

The postponement does not reflect a lack of interest in engineering and computer science from local girls, said organizer Anissa Agah St. Pierre. She cites bad timing. The three day weekend and two-day committment might have been a little much to ask, she noted.

As the university’s representative for women in the fields of engineering and computer science, St. Pierre conducted 19 one-day workshops last year. About 500 students were challenged to build and program small robots while learning about career opportunities in each respective field.

“People are just not aware of all the cool things they can do with it,” she said.

The workshops are an important part of exposing girls to fields that are traditionally dominated by males. Less than 20 per cent of all engineering and computer science graduates in North America are women.

The potential to land a job after graduation is growing as well. UVic’s engineering/computer science co-op program posted 584 jobs over the summer and while information of how many were left unfilled is not available there were openings left

“Some were left unfilled - we are seeing a trend of more jobs than students,” said Andrea Giles, assistant director for co-operative education program.

Some of those positions are better suited to women as well, St. Pierre said. Communications positions are of note, she added.

The Lego Robotics Festival for Girls has been moved to Feb. 10, 2007.

For more information on the festival and registration contact St. Pierre at 472-5851 or e-mail her at anissa@uvic.ca.

Re: New VicLUG site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:19:47 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Joseph Williams wrote:
   http://www.viclug.ca The new VicLUG ( Victoria, BC, Canada ) site is up and basically ready for public use ( these things are never totally done ). Please update your bookmarks, the previous VL sites are not being updated anymore, or add us a new one, we’d be flattered!

The general community might be interested in our links and tools page which some people have already found and given feedback on. It started as a personal bookmark and search tool page and has grown. The page is linked on a few sites so it’s not tied directly into the viclug.ca site, rather still on my personal site where it was developed first. If you want to link just that page it’s : http://www.blobfarm.com/lego.html and link back information is at the bottom of the page.

It’s not meant to make other link pages redundant, instead work with them. I’ve been in contact with Klas from wiki-brick-links and we’re sharing ideas and tips ( and a joy for duplo ). You might find one of your own sites on the page, and if it’s a brickshelf link with a one word description appended, please don’t be offended, I’m not boiling you down to that cubby, it’s a keyword description reference for memory jogging. The page is not going to make any attempts at being a thorough list, rather a useful personal list with a regional bent.

Thanks for looking, and hope this adds to the community locally and interwebby!

sorry for repost, messed up the futs and this didn’t go everywhere in the first place ( so it’s not totally a repost ;) )

Re: Anybody out there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:06:47 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, Bert Annear wrote:
   Hi All, Since I missed the last meeting and will playing sax in a Big Band during the next one can anyone let me know what is up? I have heard rumours of a big Lego display in Sidney this week. Also are there any movements on the train display ideas?

Hi Bert!

Sorry to be so tardy but my son was born on the weekend! (see pictures)

Anyway, it was Joseph (+ Forrest), Steve and myself. There was some discussion around whether we can pull off such a large display even with the train stock and rails provided by James.

For the LEGO display I would point you to something we disccussed at the meeting: a VicLUG Blog. We thought it might be a way to communicate better. I stareted it on Blogger and anyone who wants to post can be added while everyone can comment on posts. Whaddya think?

Anywhoo, there are apparently lots more AFOL’s in Victoria than we have been able to get in touch with. There may even be another group meeting on the second Tuesdays!

Subject:
Anybody out there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:28:39 GMT

Hi All, Since I  missed the last meeting and will playing sax in a Big Band
during the next one can anyone let me know what is up? I have heard rumours of a
big Lego display in Sidney this week. Also are there any movements on the train
display ideas?
Cheers,
Bert

Re: LEGO for Katrina Kids?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:23:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, George Edward Godwin wrote:
OK, so after sending out the email reminder for next Tuesday's Block Party @
Denny's (http://members.shaw.ca/viclug/calendar.html) I got thinking about some
comments we made at the pre-display setup at Bert's. • <snip>
Would any of you be interested in donating a NISB (New in Sealed Box) set for
shipment somehow to these kids. Just small sets, under $10, but NISB so they
know they are getting something special, not someone's leftovers.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there.

Hi Ted et. al.,
I missed the email regarding the Block party, so didn't even know I missed it.
I do have some MISB sets that I could offer up. Are you sending them to Sava the
Agi? Do you want to send them as one box to save postage?

I also wanted to say I have had some great feedback from the people who have
checked out the display.

Do we have a list of name/emails for other members? I wanted to get in touch
with those who wanted parts - and can't figure out how to do it.

I am sorry I missed this month's event - bummer.
See you all soon.
Bert.

Subject:
LEGO for Katrina Kids?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:06:37 GMT

OK, so after sending out the email reminder for next Tuesday's Block Party @
Denny's (http://members.shaw.ca/viclug/calendar.html) I got thinking about some
comments we made at the pre-display setup at Bert's.

The thought of entire LEGO collections being destroyed in New Orleans made me
first think - I should be embarrased to say - that I need to get insurance
coverage somehow.

But having seen the pictures and thought about thousands of people losing
everything and being a father I keep coming back to the misery of a child who
has lost everything.

Would it be useful to collect donations of small LEGO sets at our LUG meeting to
send to kids who have nothing?

Would any of you be interested in donating a NISB (New in Sealed Box) set for
shipment somehow to these kids. Just small sets, under $10, but NISB so they
know they are getting something special, not someone's leftovers.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there.

Subject:
BBQ on 21 Aug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:10:50 GMT

Hello All,
Here is some information regarding my part of the BBQ this Sunday.

Address 3238 Eldon Place
This street is 2 blocks south of Harriet on Burnside, on the right hand side.

Coming in from the penninsula or down from up island, turn right at the far end
of the Town and Country Mall, then turn left on Burnside, go two blocks and turn
left at the road next to the crosswalk (Eldon).

Coming from in town head up douglas and turn left at the Denny's, then up the
hill turn right on Burnside, past the SPCA, up the hill past the first
crosswalk, to the next crosswalk with the lights and turn right (Eldon)

There is plenty of parking on the right hand side of Tolcross, which faces the
driveway to our house.

As Ted suggested it is a BYOM (bring your own meat or substitute) for BBQ and
potluck for the rest of the fare. So if you can bring something, it would be
great. I will be making a large salad at least.

We have a very small portable BBQ, so if someone else can bring one as well, it
wiil make it a bit easier to get everyones meals cooked.

We have a big back yard and kids are welcome. I have lots of space inside if the
weather is bad, and some lego for the kids to play with.

I would like to start around 4:00 with eating around 5-5:30. We will have to
wrap things up around 8 or so so that I can put my son to bed.

This will be a great chance to get the
library display all sorted out, so hope to see you all there.
Any questions, give me a call 385-1778
Cheers,
Bert.

Re: BBQ prior to the Library Display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:39:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, George Edward Godwin wrote:
I think it's a great idea! I'm there (with at least my son and possibly the wife and daughter.) I assume it will be BYOM (meat or substitute).

I also think we should skip Denny's for August and just build like mad until the 21st.

Hi Ted,
I would like to confirm what I am building if we are going to skip the Denny's
this month. Perhaps we could all discuss it here. I haven't figured out if I am
doing left or right corner of the Castle - although I guess mine would be left
if facing the display, so looking into the back of the moc
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=137278).
Also have to deal with the height issue for mine ...
Maybe we could get a list of what everyone is planning on building????
That way we could see what we still need... and build like mad.
I am still waiting for some brown slopes for roof building If anyone has some
for sale or trade let me know.
Also if you need a piece for your MOC I may have it - still have lots of sorted
but not in my store yet inventory. I am always willing to trade.
Cheers,

Re: BBQ prior to the Library Display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:24:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, Bert Annear wrote:
Hello All,
At the last meeting we discussed the possibility of having a BBQ get together to
put to gether the moidels for the Library display, share some food and enjoy
Lego talk. I am offering to share my house and yard on Sunday the 21st of
August.
[snip]

I think it's a great idea! I'm there (with at least my son and possibly the wife
and daughter.) I assume it will be BYOM (meat or substitute).

I also think we should skip Denny's for August and just build like mad until the
21st.

Ted

Subject:
BBQ prior to the Library Display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:57:09 GMT

Hello All,
At the last meeting we discussed the possibility of having a BBQ get together to
put to gether the moidels for the Library display, share some food and enjoy
Lego talk. I am offering to share my house and yard on Sunday the 21st of
August. I think this would be a good day as it isn't last minute before the
dispaly so if some things don't work we have some time to fix them up. The only
catch is that I do not have a BBQ at present. If I sell some more Lego from my
store , I will likely buy one, but cannot guarantee I will have one.
So Lego Party at my place - kids welcome - to play in a big back yard or
wherever
I need to know how many people are coming, so please send me an email.
Bert.

Re: Hello - I won't be able to make next meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.viclug, Bert Annear wrote:
   So what’s happening ... Cheers Bert

Hi Bert, and everyone!

1) Block Party: Next Tuesday (June 10) @ Denny’s near Mayfair @ 8:00 pm - Bring something to share (especially if it might be for the display).

2) Library Display: I have just been updating the web pages and will post them tonight. Mostly a page for the display with the sketch and notes from last meeting.

I will also send an email to those who asked to be contacted (everyone I think) when I have uploaded the new page(s).

Ted, Self-Appointed Chief Blockhead

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact