 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13010
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:53:26 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Noeckel wrote:
But in general, it seems like rtlToronto is against any attempt to resolve the
color issue that is paramount to some people.

I really, really, honestly do hope that one day TLG completely discontinues
their Robotic line, and replaces all Mindstorm and Technic with Bionicle.
Then, when rtlToronto throws a hissy-fit and empowers the world to take action
to return the creativity to Lego, i'll be the first to say...i'll say • Ha! ...and
stuff... aw crap, i just actually wouldn't care what you guys would do. I'd

You know what we'd do if they discontinued Mindstorms?  We'd say "Gee, that's a
shame" and go one with our lives, without whining like a bunch of petulant brats
who didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.

We wouldn't write "open letters" to the CEO's of large toy companies to get them
to revert to decisions already made across multiple product lines and millions
of dollars of inventory.

We wouldn't make flagrant accusations of Lego employees of being untruthful and
demanding resignations from people we have a passing knowledge of.

We wouldn't continue flaming along this stupid topic for several months on end.

And for the love of god, we wouldn't throw a "hissy-fit" about something Lego
did.  We'd deal.  We'd go buy Basic Stamps or Fischertechnik or Meccano.  Or
maybe we'd go and have dinner with our loved ones, play with our children, hang
out with our friends and do something else other than draft a eight page screed
against the tint of little plastic blocks.  We'd live with it.  And we'd go on
with our lives instead of picking at it like a six year old picks at scabs after
scraping himself on the jungle gym at lunch.

It's done, it's over, they're dead.  Deadheads realize Jerry Garcia is gone; and
these people are the most wacked out, trippin high, pot smoking people anywhere.
Why do AFOLs continue to live in some sort of fantasy world where they think
their clever little petitions and posts will do anything constructive!?

you do on the issue. But what i wouldn't do is crap on the people who care about
something, those trying to make a change. God, people make me so frustrated...

You know why you're being "crapped on"?  It's because people who really dislike
this colour change and making a fuss about it are ruining it for those who
couldn't give a flying frick in a rolling donut. There's countless opportunities
being lost with Lego for interesting projects, there's precious credibility
damaged after years of trying to build a rapport with the company.

There's a large part of this "community" who doesn't really give a damn about
the colour change, or didn't like it but have resolved themselves to deal with
it.  We sit and wait while it blows over so we can hear about new stuff like
Lego Ambassadors or Roadshow 2005 or whatever's coming down the pipe. There's a
spotlight being wasted on people whining, when it could be on cool new projects
AFOLs are doing or how we could increase the AFOL-Lego Company connection.  But
meanwhile, we're burning it away on the vocal minority.

That's why I'm incensed about this:  Stop ruining it for the rest of us.

Every rtlToronto dinner I go to, I hear stuff like "Did you see so and so's post
about colour change in .whateverthehell? It had 150 replies!" I'm sick of it.
I'd rather hear about Steve's Balls than to hear about these topics we've
rehashed so many hundreds of times over and over.  It's because we could be
doing something more useful or interesting, but we're all to busy rubbernecking
about this ongoing slop-fest on what "horrible injustices Lego has done to us
this week".  It's time to change the discussion topic.  Change the channel!

Calum