 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 716
Re: Huge Castle & AT-AT & More
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:59:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
...at NALUG's show yesterday at Capilano Mall (east end of Edmonton, AB)

Joel finished his awesome minifig scale AT-AT at about 2am

I've been avidly following Joel's progress on this ... great job, Joel!  It
looks perfect!  Maybe someday in the not-too-distant future we should have a
display with *3* AT-AT's?

What is the articulation in the legs like?  Although the legs of my AT-AT can
bend, they cannot suport enough weight to have them any other vay but straight
when setting it up.  However, rumor has it that the new joints in the legs of
the AT-TE might be strong enough, when doubled up, to support some weight.

Along the same lines, how was standing it up?  I can still recall the first
time I stood mine up - it was literally a 90-minute exercise.  Since then I've
gotten to the point where it only takes about 5-10 minutes, assuming I have
four hands available.  How was it for you?

As if that wasn't enough, there was the whole Echo base layout.  Was that all
your effort as well?  Good grief, that's impressive.

With the addition of the upcoming AT-AT ... I can't wait to get some
snowtroopers, some AT-AT drivers, and some new dishes for decorating the leg
joints.

Again, beautiful job, Joel!  Brace yourself for mass adulation!

Yup, that AT-AT was gorgeous!  I'm not sure Joe posts to Lugnet, so I'll try
and answer some of the questions.

His knees don't bend; the only articulation is ankles and hips (but the
ankles are *so* cool!)  I think he ran into the same problem that you did:
if the kness bend, the walker falls down.  I wasn't exactly timing it, since
I was setting up castle at the time, but I'm pretty sure he took less than a
half hour to stand it up.  An attempt later to move it would have taken
about 10 minutes, except we discovered that an AT-AT trying to stand on
baseplates is like the proverbial clown-on-ice.  Then some structural damage
occured from (literally!) too many hands:  Joe was using two hands to
support it instead of one hand somewhere else, and the bottom assembly
pulled off by the weight of the legs :(  It never happened to him by himself
because he was always supporting with one hand in the middle instead of 2 on
the front/back.  He's already got a plan in mind to fix the problem, though.
Upshot of that is we never quite got the shot we wanted, of the AT-AT
peering over the castle wall at the fleeing people inside. :)

The Echo Base was a combination of Joe, Chris Gray and John Koob, with (I
think) Chris and John providing much of the grunt work on building, and
Chris did most of the super-cool interior decorating.  John was responsible
for the mind-boggling working hanger door.  The power generator was Joe's;
one of the rare uses of Millenium Falcon hull sections. :)

I don't think it got the degree of adulation it deserved from the crowd,
though. :/  The bigger display of castle+army seemed to garner the bulk of
the oohs from the crowd, especially once we actually started running the battle.

James