 Off-Topic / Geek / 987
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 03:12:40 GMT

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:54:27 GMT, Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com>
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:23:52 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

Yep.  Kinda funny, though.  I talked to my local MCSE buddy, the one
who got most of his experience in his current job doing OJT, and he
had lots of really good things to say about Exchange.  'Course, his
implementations are all small-scale, so maybe that makes a difference.

That helps. In small-scale, single-in-house-platform, beefy-server,
in-house-24/7-admin-to-reboot-the-damn-thing-when-it-bluescreens
environments, it's not too bad.

Talk to a few of the people in ASR who deal on a daily basis with
Ericsson's Sexchange servers, though.

It's not that hard to get 5 or 6, or 20, NT capable (barely) PCs for
one or two grand. That should be enough to do serious load testing on
a lightweight (ie, pentium-I) server, surely?

20 yeah, 5 or 6, maybe.

5-6 machines can easily saturate the network, and 5-6 NT workstation
or 9x 486s should be able to stress-test a low-end-Pentium or 486 NT
Server.

Not many people have even 5 or 6 machines at
home.  Off the top of my head, out of all the computer geek friends I
have, only myself and my consulting partner are the only ones I know
who have 4 or more.  A couple have 3.  Most have 2.

At this home, outside of various antiques (which are treated as such -
my father is an historian), there's my machine, which is still the
same Celeron-300a@450/64M/4G as when we last spoke, there's the 386
linux gateway/NAT machine next to it, there's a 486DX2 missing a PSU,
there's a P166 which is mostly-sorta on loan to someone else, there's
my dad's DX2, there's my mothers'portable DX2, and there's my mothers'
brand new Compaq Armada 1750:
PII-300/64M/4G/13.3" TFT 1024*768/onboard everything (and man is that
a cool toy! especially the screen is so beautiful..)

Makes 7.

But really, what you need is an upgrade path - start off under a
competent admin at a medium-to-large site, move up to adminning a
small net, then to medium and eventually large networks.

Yeah, and that's mostly what I've done.  I'd characterize the stuff I
handle right now as on the medium side of medium to large.  5 servers,
probably 450 or so workstations, with probably 80% of those being PCs
running NT and the other 20% being Macs.  Couple dozen printers.

That's fairly medium, yeah. It's certainly not small anymore.

Beware of ISP adminning, though, the dynamics are completely different
from corporate adminning, and you're unprepared for it.

BTW, are you reading the sysadmin newsgroups (if you are, I haven't
seen you post there yet ;) )? I personally find them funny a lot, and
they're rather good at telling you what software to avoid (everything,
preferably, of course, but some things rather more than others ;) )

ObGeekToy: Compaq Armada 1750 - P-II/300, 64 megs of RAM, 4 gigs of
disk, 13.3" TFT 1024*768, CD, floppy, network, the works. And I only
get to install it, not play with it :=(.

No DVD? :)  Not a bad little machine.  Actually a tad faster than my
Tecra 8000, which runs at 266.

No practical difference IME.

I only upgrade, or take one over another, CPUs when real gains are to
be had. 25-50% at the very least.

Still, I'd rather have the 128 megs of
RAM and 8 gig HD along with the DVD player in mine.  And if I weasel
the Aironet wireless gizmos away from my partner I will soon be able
to sit in my recliner and surf there without running a 50ft jumper
down the stairs from my router.

Give the thing a break, it's last years model. And did I mention that
it was fl 3250,- only (though slightly used)(bit over $1500 or so -
consider the 17.5% sales tax and general more expensiveness of stuff
here in your answer, please ;) )?

The main attractive feature is that it's the enterprise model, which
means that everything is integrated (TV video out, floppy, CD, PSU all
integrated in the unit. No network, unfortunately, though), and it's
very sturdy.

Besides, if I find that the 64M is too little for mother-dear, I can
buy a 64M upgrade for around $90 or 128 for $180. Since mother likes
to single-task mostly, I doubt it'll be a big problem. (unlike myself,
where I almost never have less than 15 items on the taskbar, and 64M
is really too little, but I have too little cashflow at the moment to
deal with it)

BTW, have you ever looked at BO2K? I'm seriously considering
installing it on my parents' PCs for remote adminning and easy
diagnostics (the LAN is physically secure and firewalled, before you
ask).

Not in Stealth mode, obviously.

Jasper