 Off-Topic / Geek / 874
873  |  875
Subject:
KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:05:29 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
I suggest KDE because of the single-click-operation paradigm -- seems like
that'd solve most of the problem.

Ah, is that it.. I must admit I've never delved very deeply into KDE.

Hey, this reminded me of something I did last week.  Short
background:

Bought a new 40 gig drive for my Linux box.  Couldn't make it be
seen properly even after a BIOS update and even after numerous other
things (edited lilo.conf with the CHS info, etc, etc).  So I pulled
a typical Windows-brainwashed-user thing and figured I'd just wipe
and reinstall, hoping disk druid would figure it out for me.  In
retrospect I'm glad I did this anyway because I had partitioned the
original 10g drive a little oddly and would have a chance to do it
the "right" way now.

So I did.  After I copied my Redhat 6.1 CD I had made from RW to CDR
(old 8x drive in the Linux box, no likely the RW even though
everything else in it is fairly new (Abit BX6-2, 128mb, Celeron
300a-450)) - although it wouldn't boot off it, had to find a 98
startup disk in a drawer.

Anyway, I'd never installed RH 6.1 and man, do I HATE that
installer.  Obviously a poor attempt to look like Caldera's
idiot-proof installer, imo.  Selecting individual packages was such
a major pain in the a, err, buttocks.

But everything ended well.  It saw my 39gig drive just fine and even
though it took 4 hours and 5 minutes to format (checking for bad
blocks after all the screwing I had done with the drive on the
earlier install) it worked just fine.  Recognized the 3c905b-tx I
put in their to replace the crappy SMC (2104) 10mb card I was using
too.

I don't know, maybe if I had been installing RH to use on a
workstation I would have appreciated the new installer, but this box
is purely a ssh/ftp/http/quakeX server for me, so the feel-good
graphical crap just got in the way.  Even the account admin thing
was a pain - I used it but I could have made the accounts 10x faster
later using adduser.

Ramble, ramble.... TCP/IP test tomorrow.  2 tests this week and I'm
MCSE.  Then I start CNE.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/