 Off-Topic / Fun / 8630
Re: OMG - GONK PROOF (was Re:Google archives Usenet back to '81)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:54:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
spitz wrote:

Of course, all the coolest geek stuff comes from RPI.  Nason Hall, no less.
You should write to the Alumni Assn., I bet they would give you a mention in
the magazine. :)

-Alfred (RPI '94)

Oh, Hi fellow Alums...

Frank (BSCSE '85, MEngCSE '89)

Ahh, you guys all went a couple of years too early!  The graduation speaker in
1996 was Peter Eio, who was at that time president of LEGO US.  I never
actually saw the speech, but it made for a great spring!  LEGO donated about
20 K8's of randomly assorted bricks from that year's production, which were
used for a contest during GM week.  Teams could sign up, and receive 2 K8s with
which to construct a model of a building on campus ... the only catch was, the
contest started Wednesday morning, and all entries were due Friday morning.

I was signed up as the only male member on a sorority team - ahh, that was a
good time (some of the members knew my obsession).  I literally pulled two
consecutive all-nighters, skipped massive amounts of class time, and lived at
the sorority house for that time.  After some discussion, we decided to select
a building that was architecturally interesting, historically significant ...
and decidely unpopular with the student body since it was the building farthest
from civilation, West Hall.

Well, short version: we won :P  Our building made the front page of the Troy
newspaper, the school newspaper, the alumni magazine, and another building from
the contest went on one of RPI's publicity posters.  I have a bunch of photos
and the newspaper articles ... I really should get around to scanning them in
sometime.  The best part was: first place took home 3 K8s!! (second took home
2, third took home 3, the rest were donated to local hospitals and charities)
We took the boxes back to the sorority, the ladies picked out some pieces that
they wanted (less than 1/2 of a K8 total), and donated the rest to a worthy
cause - me :)

Regularly, another AFOL will ask me what set a particular piece I used in an
MOC came from.  Almost invariably, I have to answer that I don't know, since I
received them in a random assortment.  It's also occasionally entertaining to
realize how *many* of some random pieces I have ... Ahh well, a small price to
pay ;)

-Shaun
(MEng '98)