 Off-Topic / Fun / 8632
Re: OMG - GONK PROOF (was Re:Google archives Usenet back to '81)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:24:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Jon Palmer writes:
Wow.

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Hi All,

Please forgive my enthusiasm, but Jon's post meant something very special to • me
:)  You see, about 8 years ago I made a post to a Star Wars usenet group,
coining the term "Gonk" to refer to the two-legged power droid that shows up • in
every movie.  Within days, there was an ongoing furor of activity, and Gonk
became a national figurehead.  Now, years later, it seems to be an accepted
term, both officially and colloquially.

But I could never prove this claim, so I stewed in silence.  Agonizing,
anonymous silence, since I couldn't demonstrate the fact.

But now!  Now it's different!  Now I can prove it!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=26qfbr%24in9%40usenet.rpi.edu

Yeah but who created the first LEGO GONK... I mean EG-6 Power Droid?

http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=2775

Oh Yeah that was me :-).  Of course the links in that 2 1/2 year old message no
longer work but you can find it here.

http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/starwars/gonk/

Now these are the important things.

Do a search for references to Gonk prior to this post (before Sept 9th, 1993).
About 40 hits come up, none of which are in a Star Wars context.  But after
this ... well, proceed at your own risk.  There were some massive flame wars
that sprouted up over Gonk worship ;)

I'm happy now - finally, proof!  This is my brush with fame, and that's all I
wanted ... no autographs, no Today Show interviews, just the ability to prove
my outrageous claim at parties :P

I think you have just won yourself a commemorative GONK statue on the NELUG
layout.  I will get to work on it right now.  Inscription shall read...

Who put the Gonk in the Gonk?

    Shaun "Gonk" Sullivan
          9-10-1993

Eric Kingsley