 General / 34495
34494  |  34496
Subject:
OMG - GONK PROOF (was Re:Google archives Usenet back to '81)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.announce, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:02:55 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Jon Palmer writes:
Wow.

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Hi All,

Please forgive my enthusiasm, but Jon's post meant something very special to me
:)  You see, about 8 years ago I made a post to a Star Wars usenet group,
coining the term "Gonk" to refer to the two-legged power droid that shows up in
every movie.  Within days, there was an ongoing furor of activity, and Gonk
became a national figurehead.  Now, years later, it seems to be an accepted
term, both officially and colloquially.

But I could never prove this claim, so I stewed in silence.  Agonizing,
anonymous silence, since I couldn't demonstrate the fact.

But now!  Now it's different!  Now I can prove it!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=26qfbr%24in9%40usenet.rpi.edu

Do a search for references to Gonk prior to this post (before Sept 9th, 1993).
About 40 hits come up, none of which are in a Star Wars context.  But after
this ... well, proceed at your own risk.  There were some massive flame wars
that sprouted up over Gonk worship ;)

I'm happy now - finally, proof!  This is my brush with fame, and that's all I
wanted ... no autographs, no Today Show interviews, just the ability to prove
my outrageous claim at parties :P

-s