 Off-Topic / Fun / 7838
Re: Metroliner Club car.. it begs the question..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 06:27:10 GMT

"Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> writes:
Yikes, that IS unfortunate!  Here's one:  "factoid"--  I have the same problem
with the popular (2nd def'n.) use of this word (y'all who've used it this way
here know who you are!) as is mentioned in the usage note at dictionary.com:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=factoid

I think your battle is lost on that one.  I'd never even heard of the
1st meaning.  They should switch the two, to better describe common
usage.

I have a vague memory of a book called _Factoids_ and a line of
desktop page-a-day calendars and such that listed all kinds of obscure
trivia, from the late 80's.  But searching on amazon.com and google
didn't turn anything up.

--Bill

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.