 Off-Topic / Fun / 7832
Re: Metroliner Club car.. it begs the question..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:49:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Erik Olson writes:

I think this is a good time to illustrate another abused idiom: showstopper:

"Brad Justus held up pictures of the Metroliner and Club Car - it was a
showstopper." (there were actually quite a few showstoppers at Brickfest,
not all of them planned.) A showstopper is when you have to pause and just
stand there waiting for the applause to die down.

In information technology the term "showstopper" is unfortunately used as a
synonym for "insurmountable problem". This misuse begs the true spirit of
show business, where the show never can stop; if there were an
insurmountable problem you would improvise around it and impress the heck
out of the audience.

Yikes, that IS unfortunate!  Here's one:  "factoid"--  I have the same problem
with the popular (2nd def'n.) use of this word (y'all who've used it this way
here know who you are!) as is mentioned in the usage note at dictionary.com:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=factoid

Maggie