 Off-Topic / Debate / 23069
Re: Justice for all.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:23:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:

Does it really matter who or what money?
Yes. And "to what end" as well, don't leave that one out.
I stress again that I find this relevant.
Yes, but I don't, so I can't really add much here.  Perhaps if you tell
us *why* you find it so relevent I might be able to reply to that.
Ok.
I find it relevant because *you* brought it up, and have not
ellaborated what you meant. It's very easy to leave vague suspicion
in the air, so what I'm asking you is to be blunt and say whom, in
this regard, bribes/is bribed and *to do what*. Names and purposes -
otherwise your accusation remains void.

In other words, "to bribe" is a transitive verb, isn't it?

Actually I think Scott brought it up and the answers you seek are
in the article he provided earlier in this thread:

  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3035296.stm

which for some reason you mysteriously deleted in this post:

  http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=23015

If you so desire, you can reprint the entire BBC article here.
That should be blunt enough, I think.

Let me get this straight, then: the article only mentions "pressure" by the USA,
when trying to make sure others *EXEMPT* US citizens from prosecution in ICC. In
essence, are you accusing your own country of covertly "bribing" those who grant
it immunity? It's a long rhetorical jump, IMHO, but it can be right.

Somehow, I feel this was *not* what you had in mind when you first launched
charges of bribery. That was why I asked "whom is bribed, who bribes, and to
what end". If my interpretation witten in the above paragraph is correct, then I
must have misread your earlier statements and I therefore apologize - is this
the case?

Here's a little experiment you can try at home.  Get yourself a
traffic ticket and then go to court to try and fight it.  Take note
of whether or not burden of proof ever enters into the picture.

The burden of proof enters the picture, yes. It is on your side if you
choose to contest the fine. For instance, last year there was a lady
here who was fined for speeding at 800+ kph. She just took the photo
to court and the case was dismissed.
Give me an example where the charges aren't obviously ridiculous to
the average court system bureaucrat.
There isn't such a thing. The whole concept of proof is based in
reducing the other party's arguments ad absurdio... or as close as
possible to allow for reasonable doubt, if things prove too complicated.

I don't follow that at all, but no matter, I already gave up.  You're
completely right.  Moral superiority is yours.  You win.

At least we agree sarcasm is fun... :-)

Merry Christmas.

Pedro