 Off-Topic / Debate / 24531
Re: One world order is a pipe dream (was Re: UN Gets It Right!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:44:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

   Cool. I think our one-sided participation in the “world community” is messed up.

Yes.

   We should either withdraw from the UN,

Yes.

   strap on the six-guns, and do our thing.

Yes, and ride on with our trusty sidekick Britain.

   Or pay our dues, submit to things like world courts,

This is not possible and unconstitutional.

I love the imprecision of this :-)

Perhaps ‘it is not possible for the US to pay its dues’ - and its not like the US doesn’t have buckets of money, so presumably its debt to the world (personified in many ways by the UN) is overwhelmingly huge. Not a view I necessarily agree with, but it will find support among some.

Or ‘paying its dues is unconstitutional’ - which makes me smile just thinking about it as a defence. “Well, we took a vote, and decided we don’t have to pay you back.” I like it. Its generally not tenable, and lacks any sense of equity, but I like it.

More likely I imagine, its that submitting to world courts that John feels is impossible and unconstitutional. Indeed, its presumably only not possible because its not constitutional.

Your command of the obvious is impressive. Sorry I didn’t snip the “or pay our dues” part; glad you found the “imprecision” amusing. Pettifogging makes boring conversation IMO. For instance if I were to rejoin by saying that your use of “its” is grammatically incorrect. Yawn.

   I don’t know if this is true (its not my constitution)

Then why comment? And why should the fact that it’s not your constitution be germane?

   , but for a country that is so noisy about the importance of the rule of law in international relations, this just seems laughable too. How can one take the US foreign policy positions on things like war crimes, free trade, sovereignty seriously when the US feels so completely free to fail to apply the same rules to its own behaviour. Indeed, who does? Not to say that one ought not take the US seriously - its got quite a few big guns, more and bigger than anyone else in the world, and its not afraid to use them.

You are merely restating Chris’ objection (below). What is the purpose of your post?

   and go along to get along. I’m not actually sure which course would be better, but our current waffling sucks.

It is a farce, as exemplified by Sudan heading the human rights advisory council.

I am not sure how what Sudan is doing bears on what the US ought to be doing.

I was citing one reason why the UN is bogus and should be forsaken by the US.

   And as a question of training and development, I have seen it as a successful technique to have recalcitrants sit in as chairs of bodies for a while. The deeper exposure to the issues, the better understanding of what its all about often leads to better sign on, and better performance. And it also helps overcome the (generally well founded) concern that bodies always led by westerners fail to appreciate the issues of other countries, and become yet more avenues of western imperialism.

Seriously, only a Liberal could come up with such a justification!

   One world order is a pipe dream and a horrible idea to boot.

I thought that the one world order (which seems to be used interchangeably with New World Order)

Well, you are wrong. Believe it or don’t, if I had meant “new world order”, I would have typed “new world order”. As it is I simply meant one world order, as in the UN.

JOHN