 Off-Topic / Debate / 23070
Re: How do you guys do it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:57:37 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.build.military, Kevin Salm wrote:

Some excellent followup thoughts and money saving tips! ... But one or two I
gotta riff on... :-)

Okay, smart Guy......

Oh, before I start my reply I would like to say I find this thread also great
fun.  Even if Larry pokes at me :)

Trips to vending machines get expensive.  Buy larger quantities of drinks
and snacks at grocery stores for far less money per serving and then limit
your consumption to portion sizes similar to vended products.  I never will
understand why some people put money into vending machines on a daily
basis--I guess they just do not value their money as much as I do.

Am I misremembering or didn't you formerly have something to do with vending
machines??? :-)
If so you're talking yourself out of income!

Yes, I used to fill vending machines and I would guess that about 40% of my
income was due to everyday vending machine customers.  But if I drank 2 sodas at
work every day, I would bring them from home.  That is just my way.
Since I drink about a liter of milk at work everyday, I do bring that from home
as well as my lunch.  I spend less than $15.00 per week on my lunches and I only
go into restaurants about once a month.  I prefer to buy Lego than pay for
expensive food.

For me, I used to drink a lot of alcohol.  But when I realized it had
seriously cut into my Lego buying budget, I cut back and eventually stopped
going to bars and even drinking much at all.  Spending $20 a night out
drinking does not have any lasting effects

Other than on your liver...

True.  I was going to add qualifiers to that statement, but figured I was
generalizing enough that no one would take issue with it. (grin)

Another thing to consider is (if you smoke) to give up or reduce smoking...
at 4ish a pack, it too can be a source of significant funds (if diverted) for
the LEGO habit... :-)

Yeah, smart guy, you got me on that one.  :)
I do spend a lot of cash on cigarettes, but I utilize manufacturers coupons and
buy where the cost is the least.  My last trip into North Carolina cost me a lot
in cigarettes at a cigarette outlet store, but saved me almost $20 per carton
off smokes had I purchased in my home state of New York.

I used to have my cigarettes shipped to me by a firm in Kentucky, but thanks to
the wise legislators in New York, it is now illegal for common carriers to ship
cigarettes into or within New York directly to consumers.

Instead of forcing native american tobacco sales enterprises from paying state
taxes, the state legislature decided to cut off consumers best avenue for saving
money on smokes who prefer NOT to patronize the Indians.  Now, instead of my
money going out of state to avoid paying sales and excise taxes,[1] my money
goes to the Indians who reap gross profits by circmventing the tax codes and
still manage to undersell taxpaying business owners.  Either way, the state of
New York still does not get any tax benefits from my taobacco purchases.
Instead, now the state is faced with Indian nations whose finacial resources
continue to balloon and who now have the power to "buy" politicians as well as
force their own hands in other ways.

Obviously, the easy way for ME to get out from under this mess would be simply
to stop smoking.  I should be smart enough to do that......but I just don't want
to as I smoke because I enjoy it.

While on the subject--the definition of

Cigarette  = fire on one end, fool on the other

____

[1]  Officially, I do believe that non-indians who patronize indian businesses
are personally responsible for remitting sales tax to the state.  I have never
known anyone who had done such a thing, however.

PS.  Why does Lugnet not have an off-topic.off-topic or off-topic.general??  I
don't really want this to go to .debate but there is no place else.  I guess the
Lugnet plan was not to support off-topic discussions, but to make a place for
them since they are inevitable.  Or something like that.  I better go read the
Lugnet plan again to find out for sure....