 MediaWatch / 404
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:48:39 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Hello folks,

Some of you may know me, others may not.  I'm Jason Rowoldt, the founder and
webmaster of the site www.brickfilms.com.

Someone posted this article and the associate press frenzy in the Danish
media on the forum of Brickfilms.com.  We have had several translations
already and been discussing this very issue.

First, it looks like the discussion here has dengenerated into a
gay/anti-gay or rather freedom of gender/sexual orientation portrayal of
minifigs.  I'll try to stay away from that whole topic and focus more on the
relavant issue at hand, which is really at the core of this group and what
we are.

No, to me the issue at hand is the lack of responsibility and common sense on
your part.  Creating "adult" movies out of LEGO MFs is just plain stupid and
tasteless.

To me, LEGO bricks are a hobby.  They are a really fun thing to collect and
to to build with for many of us.  I know that some of us have started
reselling LEGO bricks via Brickbay, some of us have done commissioned works
for LEGO sculptures, and some of us have made movies.  I'm one of the ones
that makes movies.

Oh, really Jason?  Are all LEGO hobbies that equal?  I sell bricks on Brickbay,
you display LEGO porn-- sorry, I don't buy it.

Brickfilms.com has grown over the past year (I launched it on Dec. 16th,
2000) and has caught the attention of a lot of media.  The NY Times, the
London Guardian, various TV shows including ZD Tech TV, UK Channel 4, and
internet outlets such as Salon.com, Plastic.com, and on and on.

I'm glad it's been getting so much attention, because the sole purpose of
the site is to promote quality film-making from LEGO enthusiasts.

So why sully a good thing by allowing such filth?  Or is it *that* which is
getting you all of the attention?  The only people whom I can envision enjoying
your LEGO porn are Beavis and Butthead types.  If the "sole" purpose of your
site is to promote "quality film-making", then why the hell are you displaying
this type of material???!!!  Sorry to break the news to you since you seem not
to have already heard: porn *isn't* quality.

There is a huge difference, and I mean a HUGE difference, between LEGO
saying "We don't approve of this movie that was made" and "We are taking
legal means to shut down production and/or ban distribution of this movie".

I wholeheartedly agree with The Lego Company's right to say the former. I
even think that LEGO should "officially" stay as far away from violent /
abusive / non-family movies as possible.

What I can't understand is why *you* don't think this is a good idea, too.

They can deny association all they
want. They can say "We do not endorse or approve of" a particular movie all
they want. They can even go as far as saying "This is not in line with our
corporate values", and even ask you politely to stop.

They can also endorse whatever they want. They have already endorsed,
supported, promoted, and financed one of the film-makers who used to
frequent this site, Spite Your Face. Good for them.

But I would not want to see "Girl", "Heart of Darkness", or "Catharsis,
Texas" on LEGO.com. That is not in line with children's tastes or a
children's audience.

But we are all more or less mature here

You moron!  What an ignorant thing to say! *Anybody* can read LUGNET!  *Anybody*
can download your trash!

(I'm looking at you, OCAP *grin*)
and can take some more adult themed movies. In fact I'd love to see more
movies like "Girl". The NY Times just recently did a story on us FOR more
adult movies. That reporter was asking me for directors who have done
serious stuff and I pointed her in the right direction.

Unbelievable.  What a patsy you are.

There is room for serious, gritty movies and children's fantasy. There is
room for serious brick animations and whimsical comedies. There is room for
all kinds of movies here.

Really?  Maybe there isn't.  Maybe you should do what adult sites do and require
some adult ID check before people can enter your site.  That would be the
responsible thing to do.

There is my general take on the matter.  I hope everyone here can understand
my intentions and slight frustration at what LEGO has recently been quoted
as saying.  I'd like to remain on good terms with TLC.  I'd even like to
have them sponsor some prizes for our current contest.

Dude, how clueless can you be?  They are talking about trying to shut down your
filth-- you have some serious disconnect going on.

  But I cannot in good
concious distrance myself from some of these controversial films and not
defend them with every fiber of my artistic integrity.

Artistic integrity?  You have no integrity.

  It does not matter
whether I like a particular movie at all.

Of course it matters!  It's your site!  Take a stand, clean up your act, or
crawl back under the rock from which you came.

As Voltaire said "I make not like
what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*.  With freedom comes
responsibility.  *You* are irresponsible.

-John