 MediaWatch / 414
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:47:08 GMT

"John" <johnneal@qwest.net> wrote in message news:GopoH3.CFF@lugnet.com...

No, to me the issue at hand is the lack of responsibility and common sense • on
your part.  Creating "adult" movies out of LEGO MFs is just plain stupid • and
tasteless.

John - I hope you can settle down and move beyond personal attacks and
discuss this rationally.  I know you're above this.

Jason - I see merit in what John has said here, but I think he missed the
mark by acting the way he did.  I'm going to extrapolate in a calm, non
attacking manner.

As far as creating LEGO movies with adult themes being tasteless - I agree,
but that's in the eye of the beholder.  I think its sad, sick and twisted,
but nonetheless the filmmakers have the right to do it.

John - like Jason asked as well, what do you mean by 'adult movies?'  I've
seen one of the films, and though there are graphic sexual depictions in
part of the one I watched, its as John Henderson said, akin to the level in
an R-rated film.

Oh, really Jason?  Are all LEGO hobbies that equal?  I sell bricks on • Brickbay,
you display LEGO porn-- sorry, I don't buy it.

See above.

I wholeheartedly agree with The Lego Company's right to say the former. I
even think that LEGO should "officially" stay as far away from violent /
abusive / non-family movies as possible.

What I can't understand is why *you* don't think this is a good idea, too.

Here's the quote from the entry in the film directory on Brickfilms.com:

Rick & Steve - The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World
"Very racy comedy starring gay characters.  Great animation and dialog.  Be
warned: very adult themes, not for children.  Aside from that, some of these
jokes are hilarious.  These films are up there with South Park for subject
matter.  This series is more about dialog than animating but the animation
is very smooth and the best there is in this situation, that is you don't
notice it detracting from the dialog.  Great stuff."

Here it is explained that it is 'very racy' and 'not for children.'  This
though assumes someone reads the caption.  Perhaps it would be a good
suggestion to put a 'Rated R' graphic over the thumbnail, or a 'Parents
Strongly Cautioned' etc...  And I think it would be a very good idea to make
this inaccessible to children - the ID system, something similar to the
R-rated films in the theatres.  Without such measures, I do think it is in
bad taste.

But we are all more or less mature here

You moron!  What an ignorant thing to say! *Anybody* can read LUGNET! • *Anybody*
can download your trash!

Jason, a lot of children read LUGNET, and I'm sure a lot of children visit
Brickfilms.com, especially after the media attention it has gotten.  I would
hope you would show more responsibility when hosting a film like that.  I
think each person participating in the community should take responsibility
and continue to creat an environment safe for children.

(I'm looking at you, OCAP *grin*)
and can take some more adult themed movies. In fact I'd love to see more
movies like "Girl". The NY Times just recently did a story on us FOR more
adult movies. That reporter was asking me for directors who have done
serious stuff and I pointed her in the right direction.

Unbelievable.  What a patsy you are.

This comment doesn't make sense to me.

There is room for serious, gritty movies and children's fantasy. There is
room for serious brick animations and whimsical comedies. There is room • for
all kinds of movies here.

Really?  Maybe there isn't.  Maybe you should do what adult sites do and • require
some adult ID check before people can enter your site.  That would be the
responsible thing to do.

Good suggestion.

There is my general take on the matter.  I hope everyone here can • understand
my intentions and slight frustration at what LEGO has recently been • quoted
as saying.  I'd like to remain on good terms with TLC.  I'd even like to
have them sponsor some prizes for our current contest.

Dude, how clueless can you be?  They are talking about trying to shut down • your
filth-- you have some serious disconnect going on.

I agree.  I doubt LEGO will sponsor you with the degree you are hoping if
you continue to display that film.  Sponsorship can be interpreted as
endorsement (and in a sense it is) by a viewer, and I would imagine LEGO
would not want to be associated in the least with those films or that
subject matter.

  It does not matter
whether I like a particular movie at all.

Of course it matters!  It's your site!  Take a stand, clean up your act, • or
crawl back under the rock from which you came.

Minus the inflammatory part, I agree with this statement.

LEGO is a product targeted at children, and with children as its primary
audience.  Therefore, there's a high chance of chidren visiting these sites
and seeing those films.  I believe the films should be treated as R-rated
material, which it is akin to.

As Voltaire said "I make not like
what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*.  With freedom comes
responsibility.  *You* are irresponsible.

...or he is being irresponsible in this instance (in your view and mine).

-Tim