 MediaWatch / 415
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 01:52:52 GMT

Well - if according to you its similar to "R" rated films, then they should
be treated like "R" rated films.  Those films are restricted to people over
18 unless they have adult supervision.  Shouldn't the same apply here?

I agree with John - it is not being handled responsibly when it is freely
accessible to children.

Why?  Just because the US _tries_ to restrict the showing of "R" rated material
-that doesn't mean that the material should be restricted.  Go to your local
public libary.  Ask for a copy of Lolita.  I'm fairly sure you can get it on
most libary cards-excepting the "under 12" cards.  If, as a parent, you are
afraid of the content which your childern are seeing, you _need_ to monitor
with them what their choices of sites are on the internet.  (read
www.peacefire.org, or www.2600.com or www.spectical.org for examples of how
blocking software doesn't work)

Don't blame the medium for the message.  In this case, Brickfilms is linking to
another site.  IIRC, the content of the other site is not the responsiblity of
the linking site, nor is providing restrictions to what content is on other
sites a responsibility of the linking site.  In this case, brickfilms has
followed good, sound practice, and indicates that the film contains "adult"
themes.

If you don't like it, don't watch the film.  But, then don't be critical of
those of us who have watched it, and found it funny -and are upset at Lego for
trying to get it removed.  It _is_ artwork - no matter if it is in "bad" taste
or not.  It is not strict porn - at least, I didn't find it arousing, and since
that is what 'porn' is supposed to do, it wouldn't fit into what I consider
porn.n  Mature content, yes.  Artwork, yes.  Porn, no.

(and yes, I do think that registering the page with the various sites that _do_
block sites is a good thing to do- but, at the same time, don't think that a
machine can do your job as a parent)

James Powell