 Off-Topic / Debate / 15227
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, John Neal writes:

to me...Creating "adult" movies out of LEGO MFs is just plain stupid and
tasteless.

So?

To me, LEGO bricks are a hobby.  They are a really fun thing to collect and
to to build with for many of us.  I know that some of us have started
reselling LEGO bricks via Brickbay, some of us have done commissioned works
for LEGO sculptures, and some of us have made movies.  I'm one of the ones
that makes movies.

Oh, really Jason?  Are all LEGO hobbies that equal?  I sell bricks on
Brickbay, you display LEGO porn-- sorry, I don't buy it.

John, good point!  At least Jason is promoting creativity.

So why sully a good thing by allowing such filth?

Filth is in the eye of the beholder.

If the "sole" purpose of your site is to promote "quality
film-making", then why the hell are you displaying this type of
material???!!!  Sorry to break the news to you since you seem not
to have already heard: porn *isn't* quality.

Sorry to break it to you, but 'porn' and 'quality' are not mutually exclusive.
It is an economic happenstance that porn is boring.  There is no reason that I
can think of that cineatic depictions can't include sexuality and still be
riviting.

But we are all more or less mature here

You moron!  What an ignorant thing to say! *Anybody* can read
LUGNET!  *Anybody* can download your trash!

You really have outdone yourself John.  Simply amazing!

There is room for serious, gritty movies and children's fantasy. There is
room for serious brick animations and whimsical comedies. There is room for
all kinds of movies here.

Really?  Maybe there isn't.  Maybe you should do what adult sites do and • require
some adult ID check before people can enter your site.  That would be the
responsible thing to do.

That would be the cowardly thing to do.  Why isn't an abstract of the work
sufficient to steer those who want to view it toward it and those who don't
away?

Chris