 Local / United States / Washington / Seattle / *147 (-20)
Subject:
Coming in October: NWBrickCon 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.wa.tac, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.us.id, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.us.or.por, lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.org.ca.viclug
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:11:00 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

NWBrickCon 2005, a convention in the Pacific Northwest for Adult Fans of
Lego, will take place October 7th, 8th, and 9th, 2005, in Seattle.  All
AFOLs are invited.  This will be the fourth annual NWBrickCon.  Planned
highlights include:

* MOCs
* public exposition
* Brick Bazaar
* roundtables
* build contests
* presentations
* lots of AFOLs

More details and online registration for the 2005 event will be available
at
http://www.nwbrickcon.org/
in the next few weeks.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

Subject:
Guan Hei Fat Choi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:42:26 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello All!
Happy Chinese New Year! (I might have misspelled it in the Subject
line...apologies to those of Chinese heritage if so.)

2005 Year of the Rooster!
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1096013

Unveiling a little MOC. Again based upon the LegoLand CA Pelican promo.
Wanted to make a very colorful Rooster, trying to capture the irridecent nature
of the head, and color changes in a small space.
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1096014
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1096015

Cheers! have a great Start to the New Year!
~T.k.

Re: Spring Cleaning Goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 02:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, Daniel Brown wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Todd Kubo wrote:

In some Walgreens in the NW - I came across 3 that were small enough that they
did not stock a large toy section. In all cases like this they had none.

A few had them on endcaps, but mostly on the upper top of shelves, or wherever
the 3 for $11.98 section is.

I asked one store manager if they would be receiving more. The response was that
once these sold out that would be it. The 3 for $12 would run until they were
out of items in that bracket and they would not necessarily get more. I guess
that would depend on the location. (re: what Larry said above)

In one store, a fairly new one and quite large, they had none and didn't even
know what I was talking about. They responded that they had "everythign they got
out already" So go figure.

After first hearing about this Sunday at NWBrickcon, I cleared out two stores in
the Seattle area (Mercer Island and Ballard).  I visited 6 other stores which
were either out already or never got any to begin with.  I would not be
surprised if there were still some out there especially in the north end.  For
those who are still looking, besides the two I cleared out, also empty are:
Capitol Hill, Central District, Bellevue, Kirkland (x2), and U District.  I
cleared out Ballard just last night.  The employees gave me such shocked looks
when I told them I wanted the lot.  I ended up with 64 boxes (sadly none had the
trans orange wedges) which I estimate is about a 20% increase in my total brick
count.  Score!
--Daniel
Don't bother with the North End. I cleared out the following stores. :)
Greenwood, North City, Lake City, U District, North Gate and Downtown.
Boxes are in different lots. No way to tell but ones from North Gate all had 1x1
2/3 Trans orange slopes!!

Re: Spring Cleaning Goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:52:21 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, Ryan Swarick wrote:
   What ones? I went to a couple today and had nothing.

Try waiting a few days, they probably will get more. Walgreens uses automated replenishment (we were told by some store managers) so stores that had a lot taken quickly should get a large quantity as replacements.

For instance, Kim Toll, Frank Filz and I took 31 out of the Lake Tapps Rd location, that should be one that sees a lot more come in, theoretically.

If you can find out what day they get replenished, that would be a good day to hit them.

XFUT market.shopping

Re: Spring Cleaning Goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 04:01:22 GMT

What ones? I went to a couple today and had nothing.

Re: Spring Cleaning Goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 03:29:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, Ryan Swarick wrote:

   I think overall I’ve ended up with 40+ of these

I guess then there is really no point in looking for these myself since the hoarding has begun.

I’ve seen some stores with close to 100 still. Yes I actually left some on the shelf. :-)

Tom

Re: Spring Cleaning Goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:34:48 GMT

   I think overall I’ve ended up with 40+ of these

I guess then there is really no point in looking for these myself since the hoarding has begun.

Re: Trade Store Bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:19:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.sealug, Russell Clark wrote:
I have two Duplo bricks from the just opened LEGO Store in Hillsdale Mall in San
Mateo, CA. These bricks are also for the not-yet-open Valley Fair store. I am
looking for someone to trade these bricks for a couple of bricks from the new
LEGO Store in Bellevue in Bellevue Square.

Russell

Sounds good! I have a couple extra Bellevue Store bricks I'd be willing to
trade. email me at eskimo-2@comNOSPAMcast.net

Wayne

Subject:
Trade Store Bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:04:47 GMT

I have two Duplo bricks from the just opened LEGO Store in Hillsdale Mall in San
Mateo, CA. These bricks are also for the not-yet-open Valley Fair store. I am
looking for someone to trade these bricks for a couple of bricks from the new
LEGO Store in Bellevue in Bellevue Square.

Russell

Re: Bellevue square store opening
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 05:57:48 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Kubo wrote:
Well all,
It was a long day in Bellevue Washington as we assisted in the opening of the
16th LEGO store.
It was a rush from the opening hour, and I have to say the store was the most
packed even early in the morning at the mall. Wayne Hussey, his wife Terry
Landers, Ashley Glennon and I, had a great time show our own MOCs and helping
with the kids build area and a Spiderman 2 Mosaic.

All in all a great day here in Washington as we welcome LEGO to our area!

Play On, Just Imagine, and Hurray for the LEGO corp.
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!!
Regards
T.K.

Hey Todd you guy's did a great job!! My son and I rolled through there early in
the morning (before 11) and the store was busy.

Thanks
Daniel

Subject:
NW Game LUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.loc.us.wa.spo, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.loc.us.wa.tac
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 05:44:16 GMT

I've just founded a yahoo group for LEGO gaming in the Pacific Northwest area
(of the U.S.A). Here's the URL if you want to join. Thanks.

~Chris

Re: 12' Long Maersk Ship?!?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:27:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brendan Coughlin writes:
Hi everyone.

I thought this was kind of interesting and decided just to post it here.  I
accidentally came across this website, which is called "Odyssey, The
Maritime Discovery Center."  On the webpage there is a description about a
Lego Maersk 12' long container ship...the largest one in the world (aka The
Maersk Sovereign).  Unfortunately there are no pictures, but it sure makes
one wonder.  I actually e-mailed the lady trying to get pictures, but had no
luck.  First of all, here is the link to the website:

http://www.ody.org/info_news_pr030602.htm

Just scroll down about halfway and you'll see the Lego beginning.  SECONDLY,
I have also included a picture of the Maersk Sovereign container ship itself
in real life.

http://members.tripod.com/shumsw2/maersk/SovereignMaersk3.jpg

First, that ship would be insane to see in Legos.  Secondly, Lego actually
MADE that many light blue pieces?  Just think of how many light blue pieces
would have to be used to build that thing.  The website said the ship was
made from approximately 75,000 pieces.  That means that well over half of
those pieces were light blue.

Maybe someone in the Seattle area has seen it?

ROSCO

Re: Find a Lego "Shell" Flag at Brickswest Pavillion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:43:50 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, Mark Benz writes:
Hi,
Along with the striped Lego sheet skirting we put up around the display
table, we also had one of the "Shell Gas Station" Red Lego Flags on the side
facing the Robot tables in the front corner. We got the skirting back, but
did anyone from SEALUG happen to take the flag home by mistake?
Thanks,
mark benz, BAYLUG

All of my vinyl banners ended up staying in the Pavilion after tear-down,
and according to Dan, LLC has them for pick-up. I'll be down there in a
couple of weeks to pick them up, and if your flag doesn't show up by then,
I'll see if it's with the event stuff.

I'll check with Dan when our crate returns.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

Re: Find a Lego "Shell" Flag at Brickswest Pavillion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:46:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, Mark Benz writes:
Hi,
Along with the striped Lego sheet skirting we put up around the display
table, we also had one of the "Shell Gas Station" Red Lego Flags on the side
facing the Robot tables in the front corner. We got the skirting back, but
did anyone from SEALUG happen to take the flag home by mistake?
Thanks,
mark benz, BAYLUG

All of my vinyl banners ended up staying in the Pavilion after tear-down,
and according to Dan, LLC has them for pick-up. I'll be down there in a
couple of weeks to pick them up, and if your flag doesn't show up by then,
I'll see if it's with the event stuff.

Matt

Subject:
Find a Lego "Shell" Flag at Brickswest Pavillion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:35:14 GMT

Hi,
Along with the striped Lego sheet skirting we put up around the display
table, we also had one of the "Shell Gas Station" Red Lego Flags on the side
facing the Robot tables in the front corner. We got the skirting back, but
did anyone from SEALUG happen to take the flag home by mistake?
Thanks,
mark benz, BAYLUG

Re: More train work this week...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.ca.ab.edm, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.loc.ca.ab.cal
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:17:05 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, David K. Z. Harris writes:
I cleaned off the kitchen table this week, in order to sort some LEGO bought
over the past few months, and to *finally* build something!

I worked on a couple new iterations of the multi-bed 'well-car' designs. I'd
made a new page (http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/)  to document the
project, and I've put new pictures up, but I still need to add them to the
index...but you can find a couple previews at

   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9563.JPG
   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9584.JPG
   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9605.JPG
   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9607.JPG

David, very nice design, simple but effective. I recently purchased my first
Lego train but have yet to sit down and really try to build some of my own
cars. These pictures and ideas of yours may just inspire me.

I also started work on a project that's been trapped in my mind since the
July BayLUG meeting. I saw a large, molded, raised baseplate that Uncle Dan
had brought to sell (two raised areas, with a 'valley' between the raised
parts), and I thought "a train would fit through that valley...". After many
months, I started to work with the baseplate, and you can see the pictures
(9617-9631) using the following link. (Change the number...)

  http://www.baylug.org/zonker/tower/AUT_9617.JPG

One side is a train control tower...the other side is meant to be a
railfan park and picnic area. I need to populate it, and add some details,
but you can get the general idea. (I really like the 'hold signals', and the
long, bay windows. I'm trying to decide about the roof...is it in snow
country or not?) I don't know if this will find a place on our GATS layout
or not, but I'll probably be bringing it to BricksWest to show folks. :-)

To me this just begs for some sort of walkway overpass from the control
tower to the viewing area. Even a simple footbridge with steps up each side
and a small horizontal section. You could make it covered but I just see it
open to the elements.

Regards,
Peter

Subject:
More train work this week...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.ca.ab.edm, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.loc.ca.ab.cal
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:42:50 GMT

I cleaned off the kitchen table this week, in order to sort some LEGO bought
over the past few months, and to *finally* build something!

I worked on a couple new iterations of the multi-bed 'well-car' designs. I'd
made a new page (http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/)  to document the
project, and I've put new pictures up, but I still need to add them to the
index...but you can find a couple previews at

    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9563.JPG
    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9584.JPG
    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9605.JPG
    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9607.JPG

My old phase-4 gave way to this modified version in yellow and grey. The
ends now mount on the middle of a wheelset, versus on the end, and initial
'bench testing' has worked well. Tonight (after I get a good nights sleep),
I'll bring a bunch of trains to my dad's house for the traditional LEGO
Christmas Train, and give all of the new designs a good workout. Once I know
where they are weak, I've got a couple weeks to improve the design(s) before
the BayLUG meeting on 5 Jan.

There was also a black model, taken from instructions I found in Jeroen de
Hann's brickShelf gallery. I modified the two-bed design to be a three-bed
version. (Note that these hold 3 small containers each, not just two.) The
design looks a bit top-heavy to me, but we'll play with them and see later
on! :-)

    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/fcc/AUT_9551.JPG
[...]

   Happy Holidays! (Happy Boxing Day to my friends north of the border!)

      -Z-

Re: (look out) I'm a-comin' yer way!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:31:47 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.sealug, Mark Sandlin writes:
Joel Jacobsen at jacobsen@oar.net wrote:

<snipped>

Hi Joel!

I'll rally the troops and see who wants to have an impromptu SEALUG meeting
and hang out and such. Please check back with us when the date gets closer,
because I have a feeling some people will say "oh yeah" and then forget
about it until then. ;^)

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head

Greetings Mr. Muffin Head!

I shall do that.

I must say that I am realy looking forward to the visit. The last time I was
back "home" for any sort of vacationing was about 4 years ago, now. *8|

Talk at ya in another month or so (about this at least <G>).

Joel J

Re: (look out) I'm a-comin' yer way!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:00:25 GMT

Joel Jacobsen at jacobsen@oar.net wrote:

My wife and I have booked our flight to Seattle for vacation. (woohoo!)

We'll be there from the 22nd through the 29th of September to visit family
and friends.

Should any of you SEALUGers (or others!) in the Seattle area be interested
in meeting up with a Washington native turned Ohio refugee, please let me
know. :)

Feel free to email me (work or home) if you'd like to try and arrange
something, or ICQ me.

Joel J
email: arslaan@columbus.rr.com
ICQ: 5954042

Hi Joel!

I'll rally the troops and see who wants to have an impromptu SEALUG meeting
and hang out and such. Please check back with us when the date gets closer,
because I have a feeling some people will say "oh yeah" and then forget
about it until then. ;^)

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations