 Local / Australia / 2376
Re: PS Enterprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 04:31:18 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:39863935.1D54F3E4@pilot.msu.edu...

(Historical note:  This was true only until proper
geological surveys were carried out at the end of the 1800s, which • revealed the
nature of local mineral wealth in colonial regions.)

For those who are interested...

According to my 'History of Coal Mining in Australia'. (Hey! I'm studying
Mining Engineering, I'm allowed to have it!), Coal was first mined in
Newcastle, sometime prior to 1798. (When Australia's first coal export
occurred). The seam was discovered by passing shipmen, due to having an
exposed seam. This was also the case with the Wollongong seams.

The first coal mine discovered by geological survey, was the Balmain seam,
which began operations in mid 1820's.

later,
David Drew.