 Local / * (-20)
Re: LEGO museum in Ohio?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2023 03:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, James Trobaugh wrote:
   I ran across this listing on eBay:

Lego museum. DISPLAY, Statue, and DONATIONS NEEDED

We are going to open a LEGO museum. We need TONS of blocks, displays, and any other lego “stuff” we can come up with. Presenters gain a place in HISTORY. We are selling space on a Plaque that will be put on the front of the building, as well as smaller plaques that will be put in front of individual display items. We are also purchasing LARGE amounts of special items for this project. Those people will not be included in the plaques, but will be put in a buying bio at the computer room (lego games a’ running). We will have a web sight in the NEAR future, and we already have purchased the building (old school house, 36,000 sq.) so we have all the room in the world to do this.

Anyone know anything about this? I’d like to hear more if so.

I stumbled upon this very cool museum a few weeks ago, while traveling for work. They hadn’t yet opened for the season, but luckily my job brought me back to the area a week later, and I was able to take a sprinting tour on my lunch break.

Tons of very cool displays spanning many decades, with an interesting evolution of building styles and parts along the way.

Also, I’m happy to report, the site has a friendly attitude toward competitor brick toys and actually has a number of official Mega sets on display.

I’ll definitely had back for a longer tour when I get the chance, but I was delighted to find this place totally by accident!

--Dave!

Subject:
The #OBBCSL 'Mini Movie'!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:31:33 GMT

Here it is!

https://youtu.be/zEYWym2gCck

My friend (who works in 'the biz') got some 'studio time' booked at his shop and
we set up the #OBBCSL.  He set up the lighting and the screens and I set up the
layout.

He originally thought about 'green screening' but that would have been so much
post production... so we just used blackout screens around the back half of the
layout.

We then took some footage using his Osmo camera. That littel camera is quite
impressive.

He was using 120 fps, and I can't remember what aperture or ISO or anything like
that...

The Osmo was able to get right into the layout better than my usual cell phone
vids...

As well, my friend then added specific sound effects to the various monorails
and nodes around the layout, and overlayed it with a wonderful soundtrack.

I am so pleased with the result - it was worth the effort to set up for the day
at the studio.

He gave me all the raw footage, and I don't know what I'll do with it yet...

This 'mini movie', however, I'm trying to incorporate into the display at shows.
I'll figure it out :)

Hope you like it!

Dave K

Subject:
#OBBCSL lit up and filmed with studio equipment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2022 02:58:49 GMT

I had the opportunity to set up the #OBBCSL in a studio environment and get it
professionally filmed today.

This is a quick vid I made with my cell phone at one point.

https://youtu.be/TQ5PPKOv7SA

Hope you like it!

Dave K

Subject:
I'm doing a show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2022 19:02:05 GMT

It's been so long since I've done an actual show!

I'll be setting up the #OBBCSL at the Canadian Toy Collector's Society's show!

Location and time information -

May 22, 2022
Etobicoke Olympium
590 Rathburn Rd.
Etobicoke, (Toronto) Ontario, Canada
(building located on the north side, a quarter mile west of Renforth Drive)

Public Show Admission
Sunday May 22, 2022 - 9:00 am till 2:30 pm

Website -

<http://www.ctcs.org/show.htm>

I'll be there around 7 a.m. on Sunday to set up before the public admission at 9
a.m.

This is an 'official' Torolug display (as I'm now a member ;) ) but I think - as
far as I know at this time - I'll be flying solo.

I know it's a little late notice, but if you have nothing to do on Sunday of
this long weekend, stop on by!

I'm pretty excited about it!

Hope to see you there!

Dave K

Subject:
My Living Room Classic Space layout - Using LifeLites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:57:18 GMT

I 'finished' (is it ever done?) lighting up my Classic Space Layout and decided
to set it up in my living room.

I took some pics and posted them on my Flickr channel -

<https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzD1sW>

Also took a few vids and put them on my YouTube Channel -

A 'minifig' camera view on the layout -

<https://youtu.be/sZIOlxJpamw>

My discussion about the layout -

<https://youtu.be/lK6mqiOPwow>

There are a whole slew of other previous vids on my YouTube channel that show
how I got to this point.

A very special thanks to Rob Hendrix for his LifeLites lighting kits that I used
extensively in this layout.

<https://lifelites.com/>

I should probably do a tally to see what the final number is for LifeLites kits
in the layout...

Here's a quick listing off the top of my head -

Landing pads - 13 x 2 kits each = 26
Monorail Station - 2 kits
Habitat - 1 kit
Rocket Launch - 2 kits
Ships - 3 advanced kits (so far - soon to me more)
Tower - floors 0-3 (ground ops) - 8
Tower - floors 4-9 (landing pad/monorail demarc) - 2
Tower - floor 10 (observation) - 2
Tower - floor 11 (space ops) - 2
Tower - floor 12 (exec - cake topper) - 2

Total - 50 LifeLite basic/advanced kits. (think 5 of the 50 are advanced)

times (mostly) 8 LED's each - 400 LED lights

That number is high because not all the kits have 8 LED's connected. But most
do.

Thankfully I've been acquiring the LifeLite kits over the years since Rob
started making them, because that would be hard on the bank if I bought them all
at once :)

Anyway, the evolution of the OBBCSL has been so much fun over the years, and I'm
not done with it yet.

That said, the 'big' changes are now mostly complete and it's finally, after
12ish years of updating it, where I wanted it to be from the beginning.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Dave K

Subject:
Wieder mal irgendwer hier gewesen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 06:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.de, "Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke" <ben@1000steine.SPAM-block.com>

Beste Grüße und erstmal eine schöne Weihnachtszeit (und einen Guten Rutsch ins
neue Jahr)

Moin alle heimlichen Mitleser!

Und wieder einmal ist es fast Weihnachten. Es gab eine Krokodil-Lok und keiner
bei Lugnet-Trains hat sich übers Erscheinen gefreut. Niemand hat sich über
veinmeinlich schlechte Laufeigenschaften beschwert und niemand sich über das
schnelle Verschwinden aus dem S@H aufgeregt. Eigentlich schön so. Andererseits
auch bedauerlich langweilig.

Immerhin ist heute Lugnet einmal in 1000steine erwähnt worden (mein Anlass hier
ein Lebenszeichen zu hinterlassen).
https://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/?entry=1&id=459281#id459281

Beste Grüße und bis in 3 Jahren oder so...

Ben

Subject:
Just a test for uuencode algorithm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.lar
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2020 09:41:11 GMT
(canceled)

Subject:
Just a test for uuencode algorithm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.cc
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2020 09:38:51 GMT
(canceled)

Subject:
Example of using UUENCODE algo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.dk.fy.ode
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2020 12:01:51 GMT
(canceled)

Subject:
Example of using UUENCODE algo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.es.cn.tol
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:51:16 GMT
(canceled)

Subject:
LEGO Display over the Family Day Weekend at the International Centre, Toronto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2020 18:02:55 GMT

We will be setting up a small display at the International Centre over the
Family Day Weekend--

http://www.toronto4kids.com/Calendar/index.php/name/Kids-Fest-Toronto/event/8160/

Sat., Feb. 15th
Sun., Feb. 16th
Mon., Feb. 17th
10:00am – 6:00pm

International Centre
6900 Airport Road
Mississauga, ON

I'll be bringing some sort of space layout, and Kevin is bringing his Dioramas
as well.

If others are interested in displaying with us, please let me know either via
e-mail, here, Facebook, whatever.  You don't have the display for the entire
weekend.

We'd love to see you, and love to see what you bring to show!

Dave K

Re: Noch irgendwer hier?! Ein Anfang ist gemacht.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2018 07:15:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.de, "Ralph Döring" <ralph.doering@icloud.com> wrote:
In lugnet.loc.de, "Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke" <ben@1000steine.SPAM-block.com>
wrote:

Hallo Ben,

das ist ja ein schöner Zufall: ich wollte fast zur selben Zeit mein LUGNET
account reaktivieren und mal wieder schauen, ob hier etwas geht. Leider hatte
ich mein Passwort nicht mehr zur Hand, sodass Rene mir erstmal helfen musste!

Anlass ist für mich das Treffen mit Susan Eaton in Skaerbaek dieses Jahr.
Nachdem ich nicht nur sie und David nach 20 Jahren endlich mal persönlich
kennengelernt habe, sondern auch viele andere internationale Gesichter, kam mir
der Gedanke, dass es eigentlich sehr schön wäre, wenn LUGNET wieder eine
Platform würde auf der sich AFOLS international austauschen können.

Wäre schonmal gut zu wissen, wenn Du dabei bist. Dann ist es nicht gar so einsam
hier :o)

Viele Grüße,

Ralph - dö

Moin Ralph,

noch läuft die Kommunikation etwas schleppend: ich hatte meinen "Honigtopf" hier
reingestellt und selbst so ziemlich vergessen...

Nun kommen also die ersten Bienen angeflogen und Deine Antwort ist 127 mal (!!)
abgerufen worden. Oder ist das nur die Anzahl der Bots, die hier nach Aktivität
suchen?

Aber klar: so eine etwas nostalgisch angehauchte Kuschelecke im Internet hat
doch was. Zudem ist dieser Club ja schon fast elitär und "versnobt" - hier
durften/dürfen ja nur richtig alte "zahlende" Gäste rein.

Wäre vor allem auch nett viele der alten US-Kollegen hier als gelegentliche
Besucher reinzukriegen. Wir brauchen ggf. eine neue Untergruppe - loc.de ist ja
erstmal nur für die, denen 1000steine alleine nie genug war, bzw die schon vor
1000steine im Netz waren (dürfte für Dich ja auch gelten).

Bin gespannt, ob Bine, Jojo oder Navigation sich hier auch wieder blicken
lassen. (Letzterem "schulde" ich seit über 2 Wochen Antwort auf eine E-Mail, die
ich immer wieder vor mir hergeschoben habe).

Einen Larry P., 8-w John Neal oder James Mathis zurückzubekommen wäre tägliche
Besuche hier wert... Habe von sovielen Leuten nie wieder irgendwas gelesen, da
wäre selbst ein einmaliges "Hallo - ich lebe noch." schön.

Beste Grüße und erstmal eine schöne Weihnachtszeit (und einen Guten Rutsch ins
neue Jahr),

Ben

Subject:
LEGO display at the Natural History Museum in Halifax, Nov 17 - Jan 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.ns.hal
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:55:27 GMT

Owen Grace and I are doing a large LEGO display at the Natural History Museum in
Halifax (Summer St. - across from the hospital) starting this weekend (November
17) and running through January 2, 2019.  I've got town and train stuff, and
Owen is bringing his town/train stuff that he previously used for his display at
the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic Christmas display (not happening this year)
a well as some other stuff.

Hours
Monday          9 am - 5 pm
Tuesday         9 am - 5 pm
Wednesday       9 am - 8 pm
Thursday        9 am - 5 pm
Friday          9 am - 5 pm
Saturday        9 am - 5 pm
Sunday          9 am - 5 pm

Closed Dec 24-26, Jan 1.

Admission
Adult - $6.30
Child - $4.05
Senior - $5.70
Student – $5.25
Family A - $17.95 (2 adults and children under 17)
Family B - $12.50 (1 adults and children under 17)

Annual Pass
Adult $17.95
Family $42.50

The window display from Mills will also be on display at the museum.

I'll be there the first and last weekend, and a couple of days a week otherwise.

Re: Noch irgendwer hier?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 07:36:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.de, "Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke" <ben@1000steine.SPAM-block.com>
wrote:
Moin Moin,

hier im verlassenen Lugnet fühlt man sich ja wie der letzte Mensch auf Erden *),
der durch die Ruinen der ehemals blühenden Fanbehausungen streift...
Man mag ja kaum flüsternd fragen: "Hallo? Ist da noch wer?"

Ich selbst bin ja irgendwie auch so ziemlich raus - Scheiß-blay-nochmal!

Na, dann bis in 6 Jahren oder so.

Ben

Hallo Ben,

das ist ja ein schöner Zufall: ich wollte fast zur selben Zeit mein LUGNET
account reaktivieren und mal wieder schauen, ob hier etwas geht. Leider hatte
ich mein Passwort nicht mehr zur Hand, sodass Rene mir erstmal helfen musste!

Anlass ist für mich das Treffen mit Susan Eaton in Skaerbaek dieses Jahr.
Nachdem ich nicht nur sie und David nach 20 Jahren endlich mal persönlich
kennengelernt habe, sondern auch viele andere internationale Gesichter, kam mir
der Gedanke, dass es eigentlich sehr schön wäre, wenn LUGNET wieder eine
Platform würde auf der sich AFOLS international austauschen können.

Wäre schonmal gut zu wissen, wenn Du dabei bist. Dann ist es nicht gar so einsam
hier :o)

Viele Grüße,

Ralph - dö

Subject:
Noch irgendwer hier?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:32:58 GMT

Moin Moin,

hier im verlassenen Lugnet fühlt man sich ja wie der letzte Mensch auf Erden *),
der durch die Ruinen der ehemals blühenden Fanbehausungen streift...
Man mag ja kaum flüsternd fragen: "Hallo? Ist da noch wer?"

Ich selbst bin ja irgendwie auch so ziemlich raus - Scheiß-blay-nochmal!

Na, dann bis in 6 Jahren oder so.

Ben

*)
vgl. Arno Schmidt: "Schwarze Spiegel"
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarze_Spiegel>

Subject:
LEGO layout at the Windsor Model Railroad and Hobby Show, Sat. Aug 26
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.ns
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:27:24 GMT

I'll be there with a 5' x 8' LEGO town/train layout.

Windsor Model Railroad and Hobby Show
Saturday August 26, 2017
Windsor Community Centre
78 Thomas Street, Windsor NS
9 am - 4 pm

Admission:
Adults $5
Children (Age 5+) $3
Under 5 Years  Free

Gail Meagher

Subject:
LEGO layout at Scott Manor House in Bedford
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.ns
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2017 02:57:12 GMT

I'll be doing a small (5' x 6') LEGO town/train display at Scott Manor house in
Bedford from Monday July 17 through Sunday July 23.  My display will be open to
the public daily from 1 pm to 4 pm, and Tuesday from 1 until 8 pm.

I've been busy trying to build some Bedford themed stuff, including the Scott
Manor House, Chickenburger, Esquire Restaurant, Battered Fish, and the large
100+ year old rhodie by Prince Edward Estates.

Gail Meagher

Subject:
Superstore tax free plus clearance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2017 15:46:07 GMT

Superstore is tax free today, Saturday June 17.  The one on Joe Howe in Halifax
also has about 1/3 of their LEGO with yellow shelf tags, mostly about 20% off.
This included some 2017 sets as well as some older Star Wars, Nexo Knights,
Friends and City sets.

Not all Superstores have a toy section.

Gail Meagher

Subject:
LEGO layout at Rail Safety Day Saturday April 29
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.ns.hal
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:30:08 GMT

I'll have a 6' by 14' layout at the VIA station in Halifax this Saturday, April
29th, 9 am to 4 pm.  Admission is free, but parking can be problematic,

There will be first responders (fire, ambulance), a VIA train, and other layouts
and booths, including Operation Lifesaver.  It is a cool event for kids and rail
fans.

I'd hoped to do another display at the Halifax Central Library this summer, but
the only space they offered me is very near the coffee shop on the main level.
As I have a sensitivity to coffee odours (throat swells shut after awhile), this
wasn't acceptable.

Gail Meagher

Subject:
sales Dec 8-
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:27:56 GMT

I didn't look at the Bay or Sears flyers.

Superstore has tax free Saturday Dec 10 only.

-----

Canadian Tire flyer good Thursday Dec 8 through Thursday Dec 15.

Save 20% (sale $10.39 - $59.99) on selected Star Wars or Nexo Knights building
sets.

Save 20%, sale $19.99 after sale price $24.99 selected city and Star Wars sets.

-----

Walmart flyer good Thursday Dec 8 through Wednesday Dec 14

A bunch of full price sets, including the new Superhero girls Batgirl Batjet
Chase $34.86 with friends style minidoll.

60134(?) $39.86 Fun in the Park City people (was $49.86)

-----

Toys R Us flyer good Friday Dec 9 through Thursday Dec 15.

"up to 30% off" "over 10 to choose from" all $149.99 and under LEGO DC Super
Heroes Building sets.

Not on sale, but they show they have some new sets, including city, creator,
technic, and DC Super Heroes Girls.

20% off these Technic Building sets.  selection varies.  while they last.  no
rainchecks:
42045 $19.97 (reg $24.99)
42047 $19.97 (reg $24.99)
42048 $31.97 (reg $39.99)
42049 $51.97 (reg $64.99)

20% off all Ninjago building sets

20% off select LEGO building sets.  selection varies.  while they last.  no
rainchecks:
76032 the avengers Quinjet City Chase $79.97 (reg $99.99)
21304 Doctor Who $55.97 (reg $69.99)
21116 Minecraft Crafting Box $47.97 (reg $59.99)
41000 Heartlake Private Jet $31.97 (reg $39.99)
21119 Minecraft the Dungeon $19.97 (reg $24.99)

free LEGO city car polybag ($4.99 value) when you spend $25 or more (before
taxes) on any LEGO building sets.  Excludes clearance.  In store only,  While
they last.  Max 25 per store.

Save $20, $29.97 (after event $49.99) Fantastic Beast story pack.

save up to $10 on all LEGO Dimensions Fun, Team, and level packs.  flyer shows:
Fantastic Beasts fun pack now $9.97 (after event $14.99)
Gremlins team pack now $16.97 (after event $24.99)

-----

Gail Meagher
Halifax, NS

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact