 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2157
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:42:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Steve Bliss writes:
$0.0167 for LEGO
$0.0143 for Mega-Bloks

Or about a 14% markdown for MB (looking at it the other way, LEGO is marked
up about 17% from MB).

That sounds about right to me, based on the current differences in brick
quality.  I'd actually expect LEGO bricks to cost at least 25% more than
MB.

  Since the tubs are a bulk dump of basic bricks, they're not necessarily
the best indicator of piece:price ratio.  One might compare, for instance,
the Mos Espa Podrace, with 894 pieces for $99 MSRP vs the MB Aircraft
Carrier, with about 1700 pieces for $50 MSRP.  The diffential becomes more
pronounced when we move from basic brick supply to actual set costs.  To
look at in another way, several of the LoM sets retail for about $20.00 with
only 150 or so pieces; how does this compare with LEGO's blue tub pricing?
Set design can no longer credibly be asserted as a cost factor, since set
design has overall been deteriorating for years while the prices have
mysteriously increased.

     Dave!