 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2135
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:58:31 GMT

Don't forget Fisher Price.  Lego isn't the only company that these companies
are gunning for.  You'd be surprised how little Lego has to worry about
competition.  Bad management, maybe...
I think it would be a bad idea for Lego to specificly target kids who just
like construction toys.
Take, for example, a neighbor of mine.  Her son just wholly loved
construction toys.  But, he wouldn't pick up Legos for the life of him.  I
always ended up playing with the Legos when I was over there.  I'd also like
to add that this boy's math skills don't seem be that well in the near
future.  Construction boys, well... they seem to just end up being
construction men.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Timothy D. Freshly writes:

"J.D. Forinash" <foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu> wrote in message
In article <G9qpz8.9yG@lugnet.com>,
Timothy D. Freshly <timfreshly@shaheenlaw.com> wrote:
Everybody remember what happened to McDonalds when they tried to get into
serving pizza?  The lesson here is that there are already companies out
there (Nintendo, Sony, etc.) who will always be heads and shoulders above
LEGO in their respective fields because that is what they do.  Nintendo

I think you're missing something here. Nintendo and Sony are in the
positions they're in because when someone said, back in 1982, "The
lesson here is that there are already companies out there (Atari, Mattel,
etc.) who will always be heads and shoulders above...", Nintendo and
Sony didn't get the lesson.

After all, everybody remember what happened when Papa John's when they
tried to get into serving pizza?

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <

Actually, I think you may have missed my point.  LEGO is in the position of
Atari, Mattel, etc., not the other way around.  LEGO is the company every
other company in the construction toy industry is gunning for.  And they are
responding to this challenge by plowing their resources into everything BUT
their core business.

My McDonald's example was simply to point out one example of a company
stepping away from its core business and getting burned.  I'm not saying
that LEGO shouldn't challenge any other company in the construction toy
industry.  I'm saying that LEGO is going to get burned by trying to
challenge other companies outside of LEGO's core business.

Tim