 Harry Potter / 519
Re: Harry Potter / Hogwarts Express MOC teaser pix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 04:21:12 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Frank Filz writes:

Any details on the gondola system? Any pictures which show it more?

To tell you the truth, I was skeptical about making a working gondola...
Well David totally proved me wrong!

I've spent some time looking at the system (mainly cuz the system sits on my
mountain), and I've got it with me anyway.  So I took 2 close-up pictures of
the gondola's innards:

The first picture (gon1.jpg) is slightly angled, and the second one
(gon2.jpg) is more overhead.

In case it's unclear, the string comes in towards the top of the picture,
around the top yellow pulley, down around the bottom pulley, down and around
the yellow 1x1 round plates, around the tire, and then exits the system.
The string is guided by a few more pulleys and tires (without rubber) on its
way up and down the mountain.

I believe that the gears inside make it more complicated than it really is.
The piece that does most of the work is the tire.  David cut a slight groove
into the tire, and that's where the string sits.  The amount of friction is
remarkably high!  So basically, the technic motor turns the tire, and the
tire pulls the string.

I suppose the technic chain and the light brick (which has been partially
painted black) is there for effect only.

Remember, the gondola was created by David, and he's the one deserving of
the credit!

Hope that helps,

-Bryan