 Harry Potter / 513
Re: Harry Potter / Hogwarts Express MOC teaser pix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:53:28 GMT

Nice show. Really good looking engine too. Good design of this on
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=60481 - is it stable in
curves?

Very stable.  No problem with curves or points.  You can't really tell
anything from that picture, but I'll have more and better ones soon.
There are multiple pivet points of articulation for the large wheels,
and I "cheated" by placing tiny train wheels underneath to "guide" the
large ones.

Do you have some more pictures of that car?

Not from that first batch, but I will have more pix of that car, as
well as the "combo" car, tender and locomotive, very soon.

Have you tried to add pistons to the engine? E.g. the old ones from the
70'ies; the yellow ones.

Did I ever!!  I spent many hours experimenting with various cylinder
and piston designs.  I tried to find some of the old yellow pistons,
but eventually decided that I didn't want yellow ones anyway, so gave
that up.

I came up with some beautiful custom designs that just looked awesome
... until they broke off, or seized up.  Also, due to the articulation
of the train body, curves presented unique challenges, to say the
least.  Eventually I opted to leave them all off, in favour of having
an engine that was able to run reliably on our layout for 2 days with
very little attention paid to making sure everything was working
properly.

I did leave lots of space, however, for future attempts!  ;-)

Robin