 Harry Potter / 511

Subject:
Harry Potter / Hogwarts Express MOC teaser pix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:41:14 GMT

Hi all,

Hello all,

We (the Vancouver Lego Club) just finished doing a show locally this
past weekend, and I thought I'd post a link to some preliminary
pictures of the Harry Potter stuff that I created for the show.

Sorry for the blurry pix, an older digital camera was used.  Better
ones are coming soon.

On top of the mountain, you'll see a structure that is not part of the
Hogwarts area.  It's the upper station of a wonderful gondola system
that had working cars moving up and down (automatically) all weekend.
Click the "Up" link on any of the following pages for lots more pix of
this and other stuff from the show.

- Another overall shot of the Hogwarts Area.

- Overall shot looking over mountain from "Muggle-Land".

- Closeup of Hogwarts Express passenger coach

- Hogwarts Express Train with Hogsmeade station

- Nose of Hogwarts Express train, beside Hogsmeade station

- Hogwarts Express locomotive and tender.  Hogsmeade station in the
background.  (Train based on movie train - see
http://www.hpgalleries.com/mgallery6.htm .  Hogsmeade station based on
Goathland station - see http://www.hpgalleries.com/mgallery5.htm)

- Closeup of rear of Hogwarts Express locomotive

- Hagrid's Hut (3 sided structure)

- Closeup of Hogsmead station main building

- Some detail of the Hogsmead station platform

- Two rowboats with lanterns, ready to ferry the 1st years across the
lake to the castle.  Ron, Hermione, and Harry wave in the background.

- The giant squid in the lake.  Also, behind the squid, in the base of
the castle, notice the water entrance, where 1st years would first
enter Hogwarts.  You can't see it in this picture, but there is a
platform inside the arches with pillars supporting the roof, and doors
leading off to the right and left from the chamber.

- The whomping willow, which was motorized and, using a mindstorms
program, actually "whomped" for a few seconds every time the train
left Hogsmeade station.

- The front door of Hogwarts castle, with the shields of the 4 houses
(or at least my best approximation) out in front.  Sorry, no wild boar
statues yet!

- A closeup shot of the tower on Hogwarts castle.  One of the 4 house
ghosts grins from within.

- A closeup shot of Hagrid's pet dragon, Norbert.  Also shown is the
side of Hagrid's 3 - sided hut, with the lake (giant squid arms) in
the background.  Harry, Ron, and Hermione wave from the far shore.

- A shot of the upper part of Hogwarts castle nestled up against the
mountain.

- The nose of the Hogwarts Express heading into the tunnel leading
back into "Muggle - Land".  The lake (with giant squid), and Hogwarts
castle in the background.

- Yours truly standing next to the Hogwarts Area.

Although there are some nice new elements from the new HP line, I'm
quite disappointed overall.  My MOCs are more along the lines of what
I was hoping to see (fat chance ...!).

Cheers, and feel free to post your comments.

Robin Sather
Vancouver Lego Club

Re: Harry Potter / Hogwarts Express MOC teaser pix
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:24:48 GMT

Nice show. Really good looking engine too. Good design of this on
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=60481 - is it stable in
curves?

Do you have some more pictures of that car?

Have you tried to add pistons to the engine? E.g. the old ones from the
70'ies; the yellow ones.

Rgds
Sonnich