 General / 53244
Re: A quick LEGO History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:20:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

For some reason TLG did not use the "tube bottom" bricks for their first
Minitalia sets.  TLG had another patent for bricks involving "X" bottom bricks.
These were produced for the Minitalia line in 1971-72, but soon added tube
bottom bricks to the Minitalia lineup.  Why the switch?  Perhaps TLG was worried
about their famous "tube bottom" patent in the Italian market.

This makes me wonder whether the design of the 2x2 round tile is a vestige of
the "X" bottom design, or if it came about some other way. It certainly enhances
the usefulness of those tiles.

And, thank you Gary for your enlightening posts; I always enjoy reading them.

Peace,

Ley